16♡

kennedy's pov

what im preparing for today: questions about what happened to my ankle. my basic lie was that i accidentally tripped down my stairs, should be believable enough.

i decided to wear long black leggings that covered majority of my bandage and a simple navy blue hoodie that said "new jersey" on it. luckily it was only my left ankle that was sprained so i was still able to drive my car to school.

-

"hey kenned- woah why are you limping?" kara asks me.

"i fucken tripped down the stairs," i chuckle.

"you've been getting hurt a lot this week, your neck seems a little bit bruised too," she points out.

shit, i forgot about that. "oh they're not bruises.. they're uh.. hickies from mariano," i lie.

"so i guess you're glad that he's in town," she winks.

"very glad," i smirk, giving her the same energy.

"you know we should go party soon-- like at a club or someone who has a nice house and a lot of alcohol," she suggests.

"yeah i agree, we can make plans this weekend."

"alright bet."

4th period

mattia usually says hi to me whenever i sit down but today he didnt-- guess he's still mad about our conversation from yesterday night.

i had enough on my plate-- i dont need any drama right now. when he wants to talk to me then he can talk to me.

"what happened to your ankle?" josh asks.

"fell down the stairs-- you know how clumsy i get," i smile.

"it was one of the many things i loved about you," he answers.

i didnt expect that to be his response so i just looked away, blushing. i missed talking to josh but i didnt wanna lead him on so until he's fully over me, i cant talk to him.

"you still mad at me?" i ask mattia.

"you still think that about my girlfriend?" he replies.

"so yes youre still mad at me," i state.

"guess so."

lunch

"hey kennedy," reina taps me on the shoulder. "think your boyfriend is here."

i turn around and see mariano walking towards me.

"i just wanted to check up on you," he tells me.

"can we chat somewhere else?" i ask. mariano nods and i tell kara and reina that i'll be back.

we walked out of the cafeteria room and went to where all the lockers were.

"you kinda saved my life last night," i chuckle. "thank you."

"and i also sprained your ankle too," he adds.

"hey, i would rather have a sprained ankle than a bullet in my body."

"yea- yea you right," mariano nods. "you should make it up to me."

i raise my eyebrow and trail my fingertip from his shoulder to his chest. "yeah? how so?"

"well i can think of a few things," he whispers.

"you know, i do have a house all to myself-- gets kinda lonely."

"maybe we can have a sleep over?" mariano suggests. "where we get to share the same bed?"

"i do have a pretty big bed..." i laugh lightly.

"i remember, wish you had a small one though..." mariano leans into me but something interrupted us.

mattia was walking around the corner and almost bumped into us. "oh sorry, i just have to use the boy's bathroom."

"oh my bad man." mariano steps aside to let mattia go into the bathroom.

"what're we gonna go about rafael?" i ask lowly. "it's not like we can go to the police-- we've been involved in too many things."

"what if we try and set him up? like we'll ask the police to meet us somewhere and they'll catch rafael in action."

"and if he rats us out?"

"he's threatening the people we love-- anyone else would do the same if they were us," mariano says. "we're doing this to protect them."

"you really think this can work? i'm so tired of it all mar, the constant lying, the constant pain, the constant checking to see if someone's watching me-- i cant do it anymore." as i was saying this i felt tears form in my eyes.

mattia walked out of the bathroom and we made eye contact before i quickly wipe my tears away.

"you okay?" he asks.

"something got in my eye," i said.

" she has allergies," mariano says at the same time.

i shoot him a look at then turned back to mattia. "and allergies."

"and something got in her eye," said mar at the same time again.

"which one is it?" mattia asks, skeptically.

"allergies," i shout in case mariano decides to speak again.

"right," mattia says and then walks away.

"fucken hate you mar," i giggle.

"i was trying to help," he defends himself. "but anyway, i think it really can work-- i'll try to plan something okay?"

"okay, i'll see you tonight?"

"see you tonight."

.