8 ♡

kennedy's pov

for the rest of the week i didn't really socialize with mattia directly but there were times i caught him being necessarily rude.

whenever i said something he would roll his eyes and pretend to throw up. like seriously ? and whenever he walked past me he would shove my shoulder with his and pretend not to notice.

there were times where i caught myself wanted to talk to him or ask him to hangout but i couldn't. not anymore.

mattia's pov

i was a little bit upset that kennedy didn't care if we were talking anymore so i did what i could to get her attention. immature, yes i know but at least jenna wouldn't get mad cause i was being rude and not nice.

as kairi alejandro and i were eating lunch i heard a laugh from across the cafeteria. it was kennedy's and it was an ugly laugh but highly contagious. i've never really seen her laugh that hard before — she was practically wheezing.

i caught myself smiling as i watch her throw her head back and cover her mouth to hide her laughter.

"what're you looking at?" jenna asks as she takes a seat. "kennedy?"

"what no," i lie. "i was just staring looking around."

"uh huh," kairi murmured.

i shoot him a glare and he gives me a smirk, making alejandro chuckle.

"don't tell me you miss her..." jenna scolds softly.

"i dont," i answer quickly.

"good."

kennedy's pov

my mom was suppose to be back today. finally, i didn't have to be home alone anymore. i sat in my kitchen waiting eagerly for my mom to unlock the door and walk in.

ding dong

huh. i guess she forgot her key.

i make my way to the door and twist the handle.

"mom finally you're home-" my heart sank to my stomach as i realize it wasn't my mom.

"you thought you can run huh?" he pushes the door wide open and walks into my house with two other guys.

"rafael let me explain." i back up quickly.

rafael esperaza.

my dumb self from junior year got involved with a very bad bad man. he was a powerful one too. many people feared him and would tremble at the sound of his name so how did i get myself involved with him?

mariano and i were partying one day at a club until we stumbled upon rafael killing someone in the back, making us witnesses. why did we go to the back of the club... i think you know. rafael caught us and abducted both mariano and i and we've been involved with him ever since.

he'd make us do this dirty work and exchange he wouldn't kill us or the people we love. mariano and i have done so much shit that by now we could probably get arrested.

"did you really think i couldn't find you?" he shouts. "i told you— no one can hide from me. i will always find you."

"i-i— my mom just wanted to move back suddenly i didn't know about it," i lie, knowing damn well i'm the one who wanted to move. because of him.

"bullshit kennedy," he says. "you know what happens when people try to run from me." i gulp and body starts to tremble. "don't remember? need a reminder?"

the two men at his side walk towards and one of them punches me in the stomach. i bend from the pain as he throws another punch, making me fall to the floor. the both of them start kicking me aggressively as rafael watches in amusement.

"enough," he said, making the two men back away. "this is nice neighborhood kennedy. i think imma stick around for a while."

the three of them chuckle as they exit my house, leaving me on the floor.

buzz buzz

i look over at my phone screen and read the text message from my mom.

text from mom

mom: i know i said i'd be back this week but unfortunately i have to stay for just a little bit longer. i'm sorry baby:( i didn't think it'd require this much work. take care. i love you ❤️

i drop my head to floor, making my forehead touch the bare ground in disappointment as one tear falls down my cheek.

.