Chapter Thirteen: Heart Of Stone

The next day, (Y/n) and Diana awoke without the disturbance of an infant's cries as the couple found themselves staring at one another at the commence of their morning.

"Good morning," said Diana.

(Y/n) replied in a hush voice. "Hey. How did you sleep?"

"Like an angel. You?"

"Relieved that I could wake up to you lying beside me, not on top of me."

Rolling her eyes, Diana sat up and stretched as she inhaled sharply before throwing her legs over the side of the bed. A chill pricked the bottom of her feet as she retrieved a gown and covered almost her entire body except her entire right arm.

"I will not be joining you for breakfast, beloved. I hope to see an old friend of mine - it's been years since we last saw one another." Diana explained nonchalantly.

(Y/n) frowned in disappointment. "Oh. Okay then. Maybe I'll catch you up later?"

Diana hummed with a nod, blindly accepting his understanding before leaving the room to the hall where she made a quick turn of the head before making her way down a set of stairs that lead to the Underworld where she, her mother and (Y/n) previously fought Hades. Lying to her husband didn't bode well to Diana's overall mood, yet what was on her mind weighed heavily she had to investigate the disturbing thought that lingered her mind. The only thing Diana didn't expect was to find company at the entrance to Tartarus.

"Giannoula?" Diana muttered on a heavy exhale.

"Queen Hippolyta said you'd come down here," said Giannoula, deadpanned.

The older Amazonian tensed as she held her spear in one hand with the other occupied on her hip. It was clear a fight was bound yet she could not bring herself to fight her own sister with the intent of killing.

"Sister. Mother had you spy on me in case I came down here?" Diana greeted her sister with concern in her voice.

"You're not as sneaky as you think, Diana. Nor are you any good a liar."

"So? I have my flaws. I'm not ashamed of them."

Giannoula shook her head and muttered under her breath, "You think you're so special, don't you?"

"Excuse me?"

"Princess of Themyscira... Godkiller... you only think you're special because your mother is the queen! Well, you ever think to include us in your activities, your majesty? No. You're too high and mighty for that. Why do you get to gallivant Man's World freely while the rest of us are stuck here in this so-called paradise? You and your man-whore are a disgrace to our people and to the Gods!"

"How dare you speak to me in that way!? I am a woman of Amazon just as you are. That doesn't make me special." Diana shot back angrily.

"We're just warriors to you. Born and bred to be slaughtered for someone else's war. You don't deserve your title, Diana! I deserved it! I want what you stole from me, what is rightfully mine!"

The argument the two women held many centuries ago still kindled within Giannoula - their first confrontation of the matter with steel and words. Only now, it would just bring further fraction between the two along with steel and blood.

"You lost fair and square, Giannoula. I tried to be there for you at your lowest, yet you shun me away. I thought we could put our differences aside. All I wanted was a sister." Diana argued strongly.

Giannoula stared coldly at the black-haired woman, her piercing blue eyes hid the true nature of her bloodlust.

"And yet all you are is a competition. A competition I must finally put aside in the dirt where it belongs." Giannoula uttered coldly.