Chapter Twenty: Where The Magic Happens

"Where the hell is your coffee cup?" (Y/n) asked, pointing at the coffee table where Diana placed her drink. 

Even she was surprised and wondered how her drink disappeared. At first, she was hesitant to confess that she was concentrating on something else, a type of ancient trick learnt by one of the Old Gods, that she managed to perfect. When she found composure and explained to her husband her trick. In amazement, he asked her of the possibility of recreating that trick. 

Unfortunately, it was arguably extremely difficult for her to perfect the art of invisibility. The distraction that pried their attention away from the fuss in Arkham Asylum brought drowsiness to the married couple as they decided to call it a night and took up rest - at that time Superman had concluded his business in stopping a damn from causing from further damage due to its sudden burst. 

Having work be conducted in Washington D.C. studying artefacts at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Diana knew that in order to get to work on time, she had to leave quite early in the morning in order to get to Washington, despite being a neighbouring state. It was early that next morning where (Y/n) woke up that morning in absence of his wife being in his company, especially for the fact that he'd woken up still in the Kent residence. 

A voice loomed in the kitchen where a masculine voice addressed the (h/c) man. "She was gone before six. Said that she needed to get back to work pretty early, some days before some gala she's supposed to go to at the Smithsonian." 

(Y/n) looked around from the couch he laid on and identified Clark staring at him from afar with a smirk, holding up a Superman mug up to his lips. 

"Oh. 'Mornin', Clark. Gosh... sorry I fell asleep on your couch, man." (Y/n) groaned as he sat up, causing the couch to dip when he stood up on both feet. 

"No need to apologise. Just count yourself lucky Lois isn't feeling moody. Besides, you and Bruce and Diana are always welcome over." 

(Y/n) chuckled faintly and dragged himself over to the kitchen where he found breakfast waiting for him. 

"Where, pray tell, is the missus this fine Monday morning?" 

"Work. She said it was about my day today to look after the baby. As a matter of fact, I think it's both our day to look after the girls. So, uh, what do you plan on doing today?" 

(Y/n) shrugged his shoulders and stuffed his mouth full of jam toast. "Aah fink ee ould it back 'n relax." 

"I agree." 

"But what, what if the world needs Superman?" 

"I got it covered. I've been busy creating some robots to help out when things get heated. Like, say, I'm taking on The Elites and there's multiple catastrophes at once - who says I'm so fast I can handle all of that at once? They're contingencies, (Y/n)." Clark responded reassuringly with a wink. "Your turn for nappy change." 

(Y/n) furrowed his brows together and decided to remove the source of the stink that came from the baby's room. Putting a peg on his nose, (Y/n) took a deep breath and entered the baby room where he surgically went about changing his daughter's diaper. Shortly afterwards, (Y/n) exited the room, holding two babies in his arms who were wide awake and curious about where they were being taken to next. 

(Y/n) then became decent before he and Clark strapped their children into the baby carriers and headed outside for a morning stroll. Luckily, the two only just managed to not look like a gay married couple as they took their children out on their walk. That day in Metropolis couldn't have been any more splendid than before. The two men had no worries for crime to occur during the day, knowing that regardless of what time it was, Superman was always ready. 

While they went about their usual business, in the heart of Washington D.C., Diana Prince-Wayne's involvement in ancient artefacts at the Smithsonian Museum. There, she had come to prevent multiple incidents with the addition of a jewellery store robbery. What came as a fateful event was the contents of the jewellery store robbery were ancient relics who were brought to Diana's department in the Smithsonian for analysing. 

Diana's involvement in observing the jewellery contents with the assistance of a few of her work colleagues enabled her to investigate a far more interesting relic. Something far more ancient than Diana had presumed. The contents of the foreign language was understandable to Diana due to having an enormous grasp of every language as well as the languages of the Old Gods. It was, of course, too good to be true when she speculated its relation to granting wishes. 

Little did she know, it was all about the Monkey's Paw. 

After her day at work, Diana retired to her apartment near the Smithsonian and awaited for the event of the Smithsonian Membership Gala. There was much interest going around of popular businessman Maxwell Lord and his sudden partnership and generous donation to the very department Diana worked in. However, she was sceptical of his true intentions and why he had finally decided to invest in the department. 

She was keen to discover his true intentions. 

On the evening of the gala, Diana donated to herself a particularly expensive and luxurious dress, something that her husband found quite scrumptious for her gorgeous looks. While she was disappointed that he could not be present in D.C. with her, she still went through things on her own and ignored the dozens of eyes following her. Still, she wasn't the only splendour of the evening. 

One of her own work colleagues and a friend, had come to steal the spotlight - no longer by luck or looks, but through the very artefact Diana and her friend stumbled upon earlier that day. The evening was quite vibrant, especially for a theme that brought out the eighties. But for some strange reason, Diana detected a tail on her back as soon as she entered the gala. Diana took a bite at curiosity and snuck glances at the person stalking her. 

Until she finally had enough, Diana confronted the person following her and really gave them a word or two. A man she raised her voice at yet no commotion was stirred enough to form an audience. Her aggression made the person following her shocked due to the matter of her not being able to understand the person's true identity.

"I don't know who you are, so please, stop following me. Goodnight." Diana insisted with mad, wide eyes. 

"I, I wish we had more time." The person spoke out, a man, with a wobbly voice as if his last resort of getting her attention was a feeble cry. 

Diana half-turned with a questionable look on her face knowing that only one man in her life said those exact words before said man carried out the only gesture her first love ever knew. He then removed his watch and placed it in her hand, his hand on top of the watch and hers on top of his. Only then did it start to come together. 

"I can save today, but you can save the world," whispered the man. 

Speechlessly, Diana stared into the man's eyes, searching and wandering for whether her wish had come true. 

"Steve," said Diana, barely audible with how emotional she became. 

In the blink of an eye, her first love's true features shaped over that of the stranger who so happened to know words Steve Trevor said only once to her as his audience before his true disembark from that world. Banishing the reality that Diana had moved on, she became so overwhelmed with her emotions and her happiness that she threw her arms around the man's neck, pulling them both into a hug before they crashed their lips together for old time's sake. 

Abandoning her mission at the gala, Diana escorted her first love to her apartment in Washington where her love - a man born long before Man's advances and new technologies - took in how the world had changed prior to the end of the second World War. His amazement in advanced aircrafts left him speechless at the travelling and velocity of such planes, to carry hundreds of people aboard the one plane flown to another location all in one go. 

Truly, was Steve amazed at how the world had changed. 

He was back, but was he truly back?