Chapter Twenty-Five: You Hear The News About Huey Lewis?

Come morning, (Y/n) was woken up by the sound of classical music blaring throughout the entire facility. Almost instantly, he recognised it as Moonlight Sonata. (Y/n) then began to wander about in search for the source of the music, the sound that bounced off the walls made it much harder to get a direct fix until (Y/n) managed to finally locate the source of what came to be his morning wake-up call. 

In a large room that appeared to be the sort for dancing, (Y/n) spotted his daughter playing on a Steinway, Beethoven's Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor. Her body waved back and forth as she expressively portrayed the song. Her finger and hand movement flowed perfectly as each press of the keys brought heavenly tenderness to (Y/n)'s soul. 

At the eventual conclusion of the Sonata, Lyta relaxed and rubbed her thighs when she heard someone applauding her. The blonde woman whipped her head in the direction of the clapping and bit back the urge to smile at her father adoring her. 

"Where did you learn to play that one?" (Y/n) asked as he dawdled towards her. His fingers brushed along the surface of the piano until he stood to her right, staring directly at her with his head tilted. 

Lyta glanced over to the opposite side of the abyss to a shelf filled with old records and music pages properly allocated by its author and the years it was released. 

"It's just a hobby, now. I've had plenty of time to get accustomed to all sorts of things in this place." Lyta responded bashfully as her non-dominant hand rubbed the right arm's bicep. 

"And Grundy? You knew he was locked up in this place this entire time - was he there when you took management of this place or did you put him there?" 

"Solomon Grundy is just another relic in this desolate mausoleum. Did you know this was once a secret academy for a new race of superheroes known as Young Justice? One of Batman's star pupil's ran this joint. I believe it was... the Commissioner's daughter of the Gotham City Police Department before his retirement: before a new police commissioner took charge and put a warrant on the Batman, even stooping low enough to put a bounty on his head. Fifty. Million. Dollars. But it was short-lived when a resurfaced villain of the Dark Knight forced him to expose his identity to the world. Shortly thereafter, the Batman hung up his mantle and was killed in a bombing at the steps of his own house."  

Lyta took notice of her father's discomfort and pursed her lips, realising just how much her negativity was affecting him. 

"I apologise. It is no longer my intention to be so... cynical," she whispered with remorse. "You must forgive me. Spending so many years alone has really taken its course on my lucidity." 

(Y/n) ignored her comment and gestured to taking a seat beside her. "May I?" 

She nodded, sliding across to grant him room to play alongside her. His fingers glided over the keys of where he wanted to play until they settled right where he wanted them to be, striking the keys in a controlled motion that delivered feeling to what he was to play. It was slow when he hit the first few notes right before he began to sing. 

"It's a little bit funny
This feeling inside
I'm not one of those who can
Easily hide 

I don't have much money, but 
Boy, if I did
I'd buy a big house where
We both could live" 

Lyta sat by and watched in amazement as her father sang with such passion in his voice, carrying emotion that quickly began to make her tear up. 

"If I was a sculptor 
But then again, no 
Or a man who makes potions in a 
Travelling show 

I know it's not much 
But it's the best I can do 
My gift is my song, and 
This one's for you 

So excuse me forgetting 
But these things I do 
You see, I've forgotten 
If they're green or they're blue 

Anyway, the thing is 
What I really mean 
Yours are the sweetest eyes 
I've ever seen 

And you can tell everybody
This is your song 
It may be quite simple, but 
Now that it's done" 

Now that he was closing the song, (Y/n)'s voice peaked with such emotion that his voice flowed when he glanced at his daughter, catching her staring longingly at him as if she had finally gained the happiness she'd yearned for; to be loved and cherished. 

"I hope you don't mind 
I hope you don't mind 
That I put down in words 
How wonderful life is 
While you're in the world

I hope you don't mind 
That I put down in words 
How wonderful life is 
While you're in the world"  

Just when she thought he'd finished, he suddenly hit notes more lively where he jumped up onto his feet as he began to play the next song, to her surprise. 

A smile broke on Lyta's face as she watched her father sing with such adrenaline that he embodied Elton John's liveliness and slapped his foot on the end of the piano to strike keys at the precise moment. Their spark crescendo'd to the point that she felt compelled to join in by singing where she could to add to their growing bond. 

The pivotal moment in their lives made Lyta change for the better now that she could finally view the bright side of life. At the conclusion of the song, their laughter was what filled the halls. (Y/n) and Lyta had their arms across each other's lower back, linking them together as they made a tour of the entire facility with a splendorous mood that replaced the murkiness and depression of what once kept Lyta's darkness alive. 

Until they came about the room where Lyta mentioned her designing a time machine she evidently lost interest in, (Y/n)'s attitude changed. There, Lyta reluctantly answered her father's questions about the progress of the time machine. 

"... and this Sun Spark... what is it?" 

"It's said that when the sun died, it transmorphed, splitting into three separate divisions that resulted in the planet becoming the barren wasteland that it is now. The third piece, however, fell on Earth." 

"And you know of its location?" 

"Only that it's guarded by a very dangerous insectoid species a few hundred miles South of here. I have the means of getting there, but not I, alone, can raid the hive of the insectoids to retrieve the Spark." 

"Well, now you do. Together, we can reshape Earth's future and avoid this post-apocalyptic hellhole. If I help you get the Sun Spark, will you help me return home?" 

"At what cost? I will be gone forever. And in replacement of my company, you'll have a child to manipulate to your whim." 

(Y/n) frowned and shook his head. 

"I give you my word that you will be your own woman, child. I will only guide you on your path, to help you understand right from wrong." (Y/n) vowed. "Don't let anybody tell you otherwise; that you cannot do or say something you believe in. You are my daughter, and I am truly proud of who you are for being who you are. So, whadda ya say, kiddo?" 

Lyta smiled weakly and blinked tears out of her eyes. "You won't forget about me?" 

"Of course not. You and your mother are the only thing on my mind, the only thing I'm truly devoted to. On my life, may the Gods strike me down should I ever turn my back on family." 

"Okay, father. Let's get you home." 

(Y/n) nodded excitedly and said, "And one day you and I are watching Back To The Future and you're gonna love every bit of it." 

Lyta giggled heartily before they made off to her form of transportation that would suitably help them travel across the hundred miles to the hive of the insectoids that stood between their goal. There was no stopping them now.