Chapter Eight: River of Hope

Nine years later...

A long time had come to pass since the Joker wreaked chaos through Gotham, but thanks to Batman, his charades were quickly abolished as now Joker had a new purpose. Batman. As for (Y/n), he and Diana had grown even closer since he confessed his feelings to the demi-Goddess and since he proved his worth to Diana's mother and her people. They had even gone as far as to move in together as the world came to accept the presence of aliens among them.

As far as debating went, neither were at a concord on the matter on whether the alien would remain on Earth or leave for good. It came with displeasure that Diana had to leave Gotham to travel world-wide for the purpose of her work in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, D.C., yet the princess left (Y/n) with something to look forward to upon her return to Gotham. The few months previously since the rise of the Man of Steel, Bruce had found a personal vendetta against the one who claimed to do the world good.

Even in conversations with his brother, (Y/n) could tell something was off about his brother. With little knowledge of Bruce's plan only of his whereabouts, (Y/n) sought to find out all he could in hope of peaceful resolutions with whom Bruce held his vendetta with. It was in a late evening in the middle of April when Bruce attended a function in the household of one of the world's most rich and influential minds in Metropolis.

Metropolis

It didn't come as much of a surprise that the famous Bruce Wayne attended the gala as none turned heads his way as all were too busy struggling to maintain focus on Lex Luthor's speech until his jitters got the better of him, which as a result caused him to flee the stage he stood on and submerged into the crowd to mingle. Then, a figure caught his eyes. Two, as a matter of fact. One of whom he knew yet subsided the competition between them and another who seemed far less important in Lex's eyes and brought the two together whilst in the middle of a heated conversation.

"Boys! Mm. Bruce Wayne meets Clark Kent. Ha! I love it. I love bringing people together. How are we, gentlemen?" Luthor spoke with an electrified attitude and a high-pitched voice. "Hello! Lex Luthor. It's a pleasure. So, after all these years we finally got you over to Metropolis?"

Humbly, Bruce applied his façade into action and conjured a tale to excuse the main reason of his presence in Luthor's domain. He wanted weapons, tools to help him combat a god.

"... hop the harbour more often. I'd love to show you my labs. Maybe we can partner on something? My R&D is up to all sorts of no good." Luthor offered, added with a big smile that was uncanny to that of a previous rival behind bars in Arkham.

Before the younger billionaire could give an answer, one of Luthor's secretaries came up behind him and whispered something in his ear at the same time Bruce heard one of his own but from that of a British background. Punctually, Bruce abandoned the conversation, leaving Clark sceptical as to what the black-haired man was up to. So, he dared to follow him. Bruce remained unaware of his tail but proceeded to a room with hard-drives and accessed one with a USB to download files.

Curiosity got the better of him now that Bruce could access a preview of the files downloaded under the name, META_HUMAN. Four files within provided discarded sightings of special individuals. Though that environment was not the appropriate place to indulge into the files, Bruce quickly hid himself back upstairs where the party occurred and abandoned the party to return to the Bat-cave to expand on his findings.

Gotham

Even after a long night Bruce didn't feel at all exhausted nor sleepy. He was a man on a mission. In the Bat-cave, Bruce sat in his chair and opened each file to find a short video providing evidence of there being other special individuals. What seemed odd was how his own brother's girlfriend was on there. It wasn't until (Y/n) appeared out of nowhere, startling his brother when he instantly dropped his happy mood at the sight of noticing his girlfriend being watched.