Chapter Nineteen: What Lies Beneath

Through the assistance of Barbara's talented technological skills, both families were able to witness the camera footage in Arkham Asylum where they tuned in in time to see Batman in the middle of a cell block with the one person they feared would be in control of the room, let alone possibly the entire asylum. The Joker was free.

"Welcome to the madhouse, Batman! I set a trap, and you sprung it gloriously! Now, let's get this party started... Ladies and maniacs, I apologise for this interruption to your regular entertainment. Up until a few minutes ago, I was going to kill everyone in the room and then watch cartoons, but then, well... you know how I do love a captive audience."

Two cells were opened for four prisoners to be let out to face the Dark Knight. Despite being outnumbered four to one, Batman was keen to break some bones and smash some faces in if it meant getting to Joker.

"Oh Gods..." Diana muttered under her breath.

"I'm just warming you up, Bats. Fresh from Blackgate Correctional Facility; with a combined sentence of seven-hundred and fifty-two year... Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! It's rooouund two! Sorry, Bats! Gotta run. I've got places to go, people to slay..."

Another four cell laser-field doors were deactivated, allowing an additional four inmates to attempt to ambush the Batman who had already knocked unconscious his fourth opponent, moving onto the fifth so gracefully nobody could coordinate how to defend themselves as all they could do was simply raise their fists as if it were a simple street brawl.

"What now?" Diana spoke out.

"Now... we wait." (Y/n) replied, sounding disappointed.

"And let your brother handle this monstrosity while we sit back and watch hundreds die? This is not what I'd hoped for you to be doing upon my aiding you find your brother."

"But you didn't expect to fall in love with me, now did you?"

Diana rolled her eyes and drew them back to the footage of Batman prancing around Arkham Asylum, hunting down the Joker - the true Joker.

In said Asylum, Batman uncovered a dreadful crime as bodies and gun shells littered the halls as madmen the Dark Knight encountered were eliminated and bound to their new cells while survivors recovered from the attacks. Through the Batman's cowl, they watched on as he tactically disposed of armed inmates, going through the Asylum doing what he did best. Those with private access to the footage watched with bated breath as to how things would unfold; the true horrors behind the Joker's diabolical scheme.

(Y/n) had his faith put in his dear brother, and yet every time doing so that crime would be averted, he fretted over the possibilities of things going wrong. Even Diana could see that her husband's worries were something to keep an eye on. Her hand slithered into his, their fingers locked together to remind him that she would always be there for him. The two shared eye contact but for a brief moment, a reassuring smile appeared on both their lips when they drew their attention back to the screen.

The screen managed slightly bouncy camera footage as Batman approached an unlocked security door with the Joker's face spray-painted in green. Behind those doors was the Joker's true face, leaning on a chain that kept a strong mobile cell strung in the air. The height difference left no incapability for Batman's reach as even if he didn't grab him then and there, he would do so sooner or later.

"What too you so long?" The Joker asked sarcastically with a hearty giggle.

Batman reached for a batarang and went to throw it. His arch-nemesis yelped and ducked right before the metallic bat-shaped boomerang hit the chain behind his head.