Chapter Twenty-Eight: Back-Breaker

Being a mere shell of what he once was, Bruce fought like how he did when he was younger: brash and not holding back. After going through a psychological episode of losing his parents a second time, Bruce had felt remarkable change that made him not fit mentally for his fight against Bane.

The underground lair was packed with armed mercenaries standing around, waiting to watch the confrontation unfold between their boss and their enemy. What Bruce failed to anticipate was coming up against a half-naked opponent whose body consisted of muscular fat. He was very slightly taller than Bruce but he certainly appeared the cocky type.

Removing his cape, Bruce raised his fists up to his face and blocked a punch to the face by shifting his head to one side while his hand pushed an oncoming fist aside so he could use his free hand to backhand his opponent. He attempted to throw a punch to his face but evidently got blocked, as did his second punch.

A third followed, successfully hitting his opponent in the stomach. Bruce's left fist kissed the man's cheek before there was an instant retaliation that created more disruption in Bruce's concentration. He allowed his anger to get the better of him as the fight wavered in his favour due to not being in his prime anymore. But he still had his strength.

"You're weak, old man! You're slow!" The man taunted.

Bruce didn't verbally respond to his taunt, rather he physically responded by slicing his fingers above his opponent's left eye - the right kind of cut that caused blood to leak out of the wound - and dribbled down to said eye, causing the right kind of distraction Bruce needed in order to bring his opponent his first disadvantage.

While the fight was exhausting for a man of Bruce's age, he still put up a good fight, enough to apply the right amount of strikes to slowly overwhelm his opponent, such as puncturing nerves to disable one's arm. This enraged his opponent, causing a sudden retaliation that took Bruce off guard as even with one arm, he managed to knock the Dark Knight off his feet. His opponent grabbed him by the front of his shirt and hoisted him up so he could spit his foul breath into his face and gloat that he succeeded the Dark Knight himself.

Along the lines of his rant, Bruce headbutted his opponent with such blunt force, it caused him to fall backwards. Bruce's ruthlessness in breaking his opponent's good arm and then his dominant leg, leaving him essentially paralysed on the floor as Bruce beat him into unconsciousness; all for certainty that he wouldn't get back up. Only then did Bruce find himself preparing for his second fight with the criminal mastermind, Bane.

"I've long waited for this moment. With your death, I will find peace. Then Gotham will kneel and then I will leave it in ashes as I finish Ra's Al Ghul's destiny." The masked man growled.

Bruce used all his energy and strength to launch a full-scale offensive against Bane. His opponent was willing to put up a fight, but only to fool Bruce into making him believe that he was going to win. While Bruce was sure it wouldn't be enough to take down an opponent he didn't dare underestimate, it was too late when he reached a certain point Bane handed himself a syringe gun to inject himself with a green fluid into his neck.

The green fluid coursed through Bane's veins, creating a glow as his pupils turned shiny green when he fell into a berserker rage. At his attempt to hit the brute, the Dark Knight found that his usual punches were no longer enough to even make him flinch. That was when Bruce knew he was about to lose - his persistence made his loss all the more painful. Ultimately, Bane was the victor.

To expand on his victory, Bane took to gloating by revealing a detonator in his hand and triggered it, causing rapid explosions above them which caused concrete to collapse. Above, one of Bruce's old armouries was shown for being the location of the hideout, and their intention to take over Gotham with his vehicles. After his beating, Bruce got up and made one futile attempt stopping Bane.

"Ahh, I was wondering what would break first; your spirit, or... your body!?" Bane yelled.

Knocking the Dark Knight to the ground, Bane hoisted him up with relative ease over his head before slamming him downwards onto his knee, ultimately breaking his back. Bruce bounced off Bane's knee, indescribable pain caused Bruce to groan and cry from the pain he was feeling. The pain eventually brought Bruce into unconsciousness.

He was then extradited to a third-world country, to be buried in a prison with no possible way of getting out. With the Justice League elsewhere, attempting to wage war with a dangerous threat, there was little hope for Gotham. Because if Bruce's armoury, a bomb was designed and intended to be set in Gotham - for the belief of the League Of Shadows.

Themyscira

Pain couldn't be measured now that (Y/n) was experiencing something he feared was far more diabolical. His curse bestowed upon by Felix Faust brought migraines as well as earthquakes for what happened so many years ago. In response to these symptoms, (Y/n) sought the wisdom of Hippolyta in order to uncover a potential cure.

It was in Hippolyta's best interest to remedy her son-in-law's pain; to ensure that Diana had her happiness. His expected visit was what Hippolyta intended to acknowledge with open arms. Upon being recognised by the queen's guards, they untensed and smiled at the warmth of the man who married their sister.

"Your majesty." (Y/n) bowed respectfully.

The queen lifted her hand up, acknowledging his formality.

"You are our most welcome guest, (Y/n). There is no need for formality, here. You are family, after all. But what brings you here?" The blonde woman greeted him rather nonchalantly.

(Y/n) remained unsurprised by her request, knowing that he proffered to do so, but didn't dare lack respect in the off chance he stirred unsettlement. Nonetheless, (Y/n) brought up the purpose of his visit.

"And... your symptoms?"

"Migraines, high temperature and I get this prodding pain in the back of my head like somebody just sizzled it and put it back inside my head."

"Hmm... I believe I know what ails you, and the consequences should this pain you feel not subside or be remedied, then... I fear there may be no hope for you, (Y/n). Not unless you find the caster of this curse and make them renounce their curse."

"But last time I saw Faust, he was being submitted to eternal suffering at the hands of Lord Hades."

"Then find Hades and order him upon my command to free Faust."

(Y/n) frowned, knowing what trouble will follow. Asking such a thing to a God like Hades meant there had to be a proposition beneficial to both parties. While he was nervous to ask, (Y/n) did so by inquiring what she would possibly offer to suffice the Lord of the Underworld.

"By my blessing, I see you off on your journey, (Y/n) Prince-Wayne. May Athena be with you, child." Hippolyta proclaimed as she extended her arm out before (Y/n) made off to commence his mission.