Chapter Thirty-Five: Riddle Me This...

"Riddler. I should've known." (Y/n) muttered. He clenched his fists tightly but released his grip knowing he was better off focusing his efforts on other things.

A loud bang erupted from behind where Diana stood by the kitchen island. (Y/n) gawked around and caught his wife with her fist clenched on top of the broken marble kitchen island. Her entire body was tense and her stare was so deadly (Y/n) could swear anybody caught in it by ten metres - in other words, 'if looks could kill...'

"If that coward likes to yap on so much about how big his brain is, let's see how much he talks without one." Diana muttered coldly.

"Diana, we'll find her. She's a baby. Who takes a baby to hurt them?"

"Psychopaths and animals do. Not common fools. Animals. HE TOOK MY DAUGHTER!!"

"HEY! She's my daughter too. Don't think for one second I'm gonna spare the son of a bitch who took her. But I swear to you, Diana, I will find him. And when I do, I'm going to break his skull with my hands until they're broken."

Shocked at his sudden arousal for vengeance, Diana lost her appetite and became afraid herself at how dark he could become. The man she married was not the man he was now. At the ring of their shared commlink, (Y/n) and Diana both answered to find that familiar feminine encyclopedia on wheels was there to offer them everything she had on the Riddler's movement.

"I've got something on the Riddler's whereabouts. A few hours ago, CCTV caught him in the middle of a bank robbery leaving the scene in a black van. Approximately an hour and twenty minute ago, Bruce was fighting the Riddler who turned out to be Clayface with some strange tech that seemed to be mind-controlling him - a device that can be transmitted from ten miles."

"And I suppose you happen to know the signals origin?"

"The old Gotham Refinery."

(Y/n) felt his wife's hand grope him before comprehending that she was forcing them out of the window in haste to arrive at the refinery. Judging by her attitude, Diana was more than just angry. This had to have been one of her angriest moments. After having her daughter kidnapped, (Y/n) could sympathise. However, his rage was unparalleled with what he intended to do to the Riddler for his atrocious crime. 

The dark dreary night suited the mood as (Y/n) and Diana flew into the main refinery building. The two wasted no time in searching the facility for their daughter. She wandered along the ground around large vats while (Y/n) walked along the walkway above. Neither could identify any pieces of evidence that would lead to where exactly their daughter was. Stairs were suddenly lit up with green flashing arrows pointing in that direction. 

So they followed the sign, knowing how high the chances were of them walking into a trap. Down the stairs they went which took them into a basement of sorts. Half of the room was refurbished where the floors had been replaced with pressure plates and a large green question mark on a portrait on the other side of the room next to a screen. 

There was an upper floor above them but it consisted of nothing but a chandelier. Sketches of Riddler's ideas and schematics were shown on the walls. A fenced off pathway was on the other side, preventing the two from getting through without disobeying Riddler's instructions. 

"Welcome, our dear Wonder Woman and Avatar It is I, Edward Nigma, the Riddler! And more importantly, Batman's ultimate intellectual superior." Riddler sang joyously behind the screen. "I do hope you enjoy my work. We'll be really putting it to the test when you both get a prize if you play by my rules and die; hopefully both, but I can put up with one."

"You sick bastard, Edward. WHERE IS OUR DAUGHTER?!" (Y/n) snapped, booming his voice at the monitor he wanted to crush with his fist, wishing it was his actual face.