Chapter 31

It's the night before Christmas. Christmas eve. Even though I'm not religious or a big Christmas fan I decorated the whole pub downstairs. And I must admit it looks really beautiful.

For some more 'Christmas spirit' I bought some Christmas cookies from Costco. I'd have made them by myself but I couldn't find time to do so. And I'm sure they wouldn't have tasted that good.

My phone is still broken. I had not that much money left to buy a new one nor to repair it. I only could use one half of it and only saw half of the texts I received. But at least I could call people.

I prepared some last stuff for the drinks and opened up the bar.

To my surprise Esperanza was already standing there.

"Hey I was just about to call you." She was wearing a wine-red dress under her black coat and some black high heels. Her make up made her eyes look even more gorgeous.

"I guess I'm looking good then?" She caught me staring at her. I blushed lightly.

"Yes, yes you do. Come in. It's cold."

There was this cringy Christmas music playing inside. But that is what everyone wanted to hear at this time of a year. Esperanza had a stool at the bar so I could talk to her whilst I was working.

Soon the pub was really crowded and she even helped me out. It was quite fun and the customers loved her. I told her that her drinks were free fir tonight and that she can keep the tip which she's receiving. Which is quite a lot.

It was now 3am and I had to close the pub. Everyone went out. Esperanza stayed and we had some time alone. We were drinking mulled wine and sat together in a booth in the corner.

"Ugh that was exhausting. How can you do this every night?"

I shrugged "I don't know. I'm having fun at work. I guess that's the secret."

She smiled again "yeah indeed it was fun."

"Esperanza is a really nice name to be honest." It was about to get awkward but gladly we had enough alcohol.

"Well thank you. I inherited the name from my grandma. It means hope. It's so cringy."

"Ohh but this is amazing! I wish my name had a meaning." I pouted.

"I'm sure it means awfully hot woman."

"Oh shut up you." I punched her lightly.

"No seriously, isn't there anyone special in your life?"

I thought of Jessie and a wide smile grew upon my face.

"Oh tell me about him!" She squeaked.

"First things first. It's nothing official. And her name is Jessie."

"Her?"

"Yeah.. Is that a problem?"

"No it's just.. You don't look like you're gay. Anyway it's cute. How have you met? Where is she now?" She seemed intrigued by my love life though.

"I met an old friend again who I've spend my holidays with as I was little. And I invited her to the anniversary of this pub."

"Awe and you both got close again and.."

"Nah Esperanza shush. She brought a friend with her. I was in a complicated relationship back then but we got close. The relationship ended. It was not because of her. Anyway we were kind of dating. But then she had to go back home, which is in London."

"You really like her don't you? Oh and yeah I understand the whole struggle of the distance thingy. I could write a book about it. I have a boyfriend back in Arizona. And it's killing me."

"Distance relationships sucks then I guess?"

"Oh yeah it does. First we said that we would be in a break whilst I am studying here but as I was about to leave he convinced me to stay together and I don't know but if you ask me it's worse. You have someone but cannot be with him. It sucks. I crave to be by his side but I can't. It's like having someone but in a different world."

"But you know he is yours, you know he won't have another one but you. You know you have him. I love her but she's not mine."

I had a lump in my throat and she pulled me in close for a hug. I was glad for this. At least now she cannot see my teary eyes. I only met her a few days ago and I am telling those things which I'm even afraid to admit myself. I think the alcohol was talking. It's just.. I love Jessie.

The night continued and the sad topics were vanished. We laughed about silly things and were fooling around. We took weird pictures and recorded funny videos until we were too tired to do anything.

I turned the music off and a storm was heard outside.

We went upstairs to watch it.

It was a snow storm. It was very windy outside. But it made it even more cozy inside.

Well, only until the lights went off.

"What the fuck is this?" Esperanza whispered but panicked.

"Shit, it must be a power cut."

I could feel her body shaking against mine.

"Esperanza it's okay, it's going to be okay.

Gladly I knew my apartment that good that I can go through it blind, or in this case: without light.

"You know in a different situation I'd be glad to guide a woman like you in my bed." I was joking to light up the situation. But it wasn't really working.

"You're not trying to do something, are you?"

"What do you mean?" I kind of knew exactly what she meant.

"You know, I'm a woman. You're a woman who likes women and we will share a bed."

"What the fuck? Esperanza are you sure you don't have a problem with it?"

"I don't. It's just.. I've never met a lesbian before."

We were now lying in the bed and I still tried to calm her down.

"You are living in New York and are trying to tell me you've never met a lesbian?" I couldn't help but burst out laughing. She also chuckled lightly and punched me.

"Well of course I see some but I never spoke to one nor slept in a bed with one. Tell me about it. How is it like?"

I was sure her curiosity overgrow her panic.

"Much more passionately. I don't know if I'm the only one and yeah I've been with boys before and it really is not the same. It's so much more feelings and I don't know.."

At some point she drifted off sleeping and I soon followed.
AN
Its just a filler, more exciting stuff to come
Merry Christmas ✌