38. Hell Hath No Fury Like The Devil Scorned

When Lucifer landed back in front of Penelope Decker's house, where he had last left the detective, a striking sight greeted him. Not only had night fallen (meaning he had been gone for several hours), but Penelope's house was completely dark and seemingly empty. There were no cars parked out front - except for his - and the entire street was disturbingly silent. 

After he tucked his wings away, he pulled out his phone to try texting the detective, asking where everyone had gone. There were even a few from Maze, Linda, and the urchin. Dread settled over him when he saw that he had three missed calls and several texts from her, asking where he was and to call her as soon as possible. Lucifer sent off an apology text and asked what was wrong. When a few minutes passed and the text remained unread, he decided to head straight to the apartment to check on her, and assure her that everything was okay.

As he sped in the direction of the detective's apartment, he sporadically checked his cell phone for texts or calls from her, but none came.

Lucifer pulled up in front of the detective's home and quickly threw the car into park. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw lights on in the apartment; that's good, she must be home.

He strolled up to the front door. He decided that, even though their relationship was much more intimate now, she probably still wouldn't appreciate him just barging into her home, so Lucifer knocked and waited until he heard footsteps padding toward the door.

To his surprise, it wasn't the detective who greeted him, but her offspring.

"Urchin!" He greeted with a charming grin, "Long time no see! Where's your mother?"

Trixie seemed confused by his question and peered around his frame, like she was looking for somebody.

"We're wondering the same thing," She stated before stepping aside to let him enter her home. Lucifer stepped in and checked to see who was there. Maze sat on the sofa with a large bowl of popcorn in her hands and a movie playing on the television. She twisted around when she heard Lucifer come in. 

"Mom just kind of disappeared at the luncheon. When nobody could find you either, we all just kind of figured that you had taken her on a break somewhere. She hasn't answered anybody's texts or calls, though." The urchin explained. 

It seemed that she and Maze had both changed out of their funeral attire and into pajamas. Lucifer hadn't checked the time since he'd been back, but he must've spent more time escorting Daniel out of Hell than he had anticipated. 

"No...I haven't seen the detective since she came and got you," Lucifer explained. 

Trixie sighed, "Nobody else has either. Nana didn't know where she went, and Ella and Linda haven't. I don't know where else to check. I'd thought she'd at least check in with me if she wasn't going to be home tonight!"

Maze looked at him curiously, and he thought he saw her sniff the air once or twice, like she could smell something otherworldly on him; oh well, he could probably tell Mazikeen about his jaunt between Hell and Heaven at another time, once he had figured out where the detective wandered off to. 

Just then, Lucifer's phone began buzzing in his pocket. His spirits lifted when he read the contact information on the screen: The Detective.

"Oh that's her!" He relayed to Trixie and Maze.

"Detective, where are you? You're offspring is worried sick," He spun the truth a little bit so it didn't make him seem like a mother hen.

"God! Are you sure you care about her? It takes you forever to answer her calls. What if something really bad had happened?" A familiar, deep, and chilling voice greeted Lucifer instead of Chloe's.