24. This Is Us

The creature smiled a hideously malicious smile, blood staining its teeth red while droplets spluttered out onto its face with every chuckle.

Chloe found herself frozen in place, focusing all her energy on not letting any emotion show. Her body was as rigid and neutral as she could convince it to be. Mentally, she was telling herself that the scene in front of her wasn't scary; she could do this. This form of interrogation (which is extremely illegal in the American Justice System, to which she is accustomed) was unfortunately needed in this situation. It was all for the greater good.

Right?

None of this stopped the primal urgency to run far and fast right now.

The creature turned its head to the side and looked into her eyes. Its once attractive and sparkling eyes were now deeply bloodshot. It took in one struggling breath and spoke to her. Its voice was no longer silky smooth and venomous as it had been just hours ago. Now, it was hoarse yet extremely humorous, which only added to the vile sound that Chloe heard loud and clear with every syllable.

"Y-you won't m-make it out of th-this you know," It laughed and choked.

Chloe tilted her chin upward. She heard Maze shuffle and move back behind her weapon's table. She looked up and saw Maze looking up at her out of the corner of her eyes, although she was trying to seem busy cleaning her knife, Chloe put a hand up, informing her roommate that, at least for now, she was fine.

The creature smiled its hideous smile even wider and leaned its head in.

"Do you r-really think a...love story is p-possible...for him?" The sarcasm that complimented the poison was sickening. Chloe grit her teeth together.

"Love is possible for anyone if you're deserving of it. If you work for it. And I've never seen anyone work harder than Lucifer." Chloe stated firmly.

The creature flipped its head back and cackled. Its chest heaved with every struggling breath, blood still slowly pouring out of its limbs and stomach. As it calmed down, it mocked, "Detective, dear, sweet Detective Chloe."

It seemed not to fear the pain that had come earlier by addressing her. Maybe it's because its torturers had stood down, or it wasn't threatened by Chloe, or maybe both.

It continued, "You're forgetting what he was created for. He...is a weapon. He is poison. He is a killer, just like the ones you fight so bravely to rid your world of. You can use a spear as a walking stick, but that will not change it's nature, as he has beautifully presented in so much detail for you to witness." It gestured down to his destroyed body.

Chloe could feel her hands begin to tremble. No, not now, she thought.

The creature continued to cackle and heave at Chloe's silence.

Part of Chloe wanted to run and grab one of Maze's bloody knives and shove it deep, to let it know that she was not weak and should be feared just as much.

But then a smaller voice in her head silenced the violent thoughts. This voice was strikingly similar to the one that convinced her not to shoot Warden Smith after Lucifer and Maze presented very compelling reasons as to why she should act outside the law, one, being that he killed her father, and two, got away with it for sixteen years.

This voice spoke up now and reminded her that she wasn't a monster like this creature in front of her, like the ones she arrested, or the ones who were threatening her and the world now.

Chloe Decker was different. She didn't cheat or cut corners. She believed in right and wrong and hard work.

Apparently, Chloe Decker is a miracle.