Chapter 21- Storm & Pain.

Landon's pov

The woodsy smell of the forest filled my nose as well as the wet rain starting to pour. Even at that my running was inevitable, my paws hit the puddles, mud beginning to form. Nothing was going to stop me from running until I couldn't breathe. I didn't want to stop, not even when the rain started to pour harder, making my fur damper than before. Not even when the wind blew me back as if to taunt me, telling me to stop, that I deserved to feel the pain.

I deserved to feel the pain, instead of trying to push it away by punishing myself. As I ran deeper into the forest all I seen was Layla's terrified face, directed at me. Something I never wanted to see, something that made me feel so sick. I'm supposed to be her protector yet I am the one who terrified her. Terrified her by showing her that cruel image of me, an image she's lived through over and over.

When I first heard her scream I thought she hurt herself but, knowing Rachel did it. It pushed me over the edge, I was fed up. Never in my whole life had I put my hands on a women and I did it today, for Layla. Which is something I never want to do again, ever. I was just sick and tired of people hurting her I guess I lost it, she's mine and no one should lay a finger on her.

I will do anything to protect her.

At that thoughts of her beautiful face passed through my mind, like the day in the hall where I found her making her way to her room. Despite me telling her I was coming back.

"I know I just wanted to be in my own room and you were taking so long."

That quiet, angelic voice sounded in my ears as if she was right next to me. Then they drifted to the broken, scared one I heard merely minutes ago.

"L-Landon."

At that my legs pushed faster, Jake growling loudly as water could be heard from our paws landing in the mud. We didn't mean to lose control but, we did and we hurt Layla. I, we, can never forgive ourselves for that. While I ran more images of Layla played in my head like a flash flood.

The first morning she woke up next to me.

"Um.....good morning."

To the way her lips formed an adorable pout, as she read animal farm.

"I think when boxer dies it's upsetting."

Lastly the way her hands felt against my face as she held it in her hands when I told her about my father passing.

"I'm sorry."

I shook my head as I ran, I don't deserve her.

Thump!

My body went rigid and it raked with pain from the blow to my head. I had landed on my back, breathing in slow. In a slow motion I lifted myself up and turned to see what I hit, a tree. Fuck, did it hurt like a bitch too.

'We deserve this.' Jake's voice was heard, sounding completely and utterly defeated.

We did.

••••

It was late at night when I decided to come home, I'm lucky I even let myself. Mere hours of running in the rain wasn't enough punishment to mend how I hurt my mate. The door creaked when it opened up and I shut it behind me, locking it. Nothing could be heard as I sniffed the air catching scent of Layla, in the living room. When I walked in, there she was huddled in a ball, her head on my mothers lap.

Both of them sound asleep, I wondered what they had talked about while I was gone. For them to be in such a comfortable position. I know I hurt my mother when I touched Rachel the way I did. The thought of her being disappointed in me, pained me as well.