chapter 22: What? When? Where?

~ • ~

I WAKE; TO THE SOUND
Of the Wind Blowing harshly Against My fur. The Smell of ice was Pure. This would Suprisingly make me Feel warm, Rather than Cold. The Simple smell of Shaved ice may not Seem like Something a human could smell; but I wasn't a human, or at least I wasn't at the time.

Feeling Something Damp, splash onto the tip of my nose; I sneeze; sending my Tiny body Backwards, and summer-salting into Kenai.

I landed Upside-down, But When I fell; I Rushed to my paws. Kenai merely grumbles; being stuck In a deep slumber, snoring away. His right eye eventually flaps open, feeling my curious lopsided gaze hovering Over him.

"What now kid? I'm Tired. Go back to sleep." He curls his Tail around my Tiny body. I nudge under it, Before Peering Out of The cave.

This was quite long ago, It was around the time kenai, and I were still traveling; searching for where we belong. We lived in a cave, just Nearby an old Town, With Dumpsters we'd eventually pilfer around.

The season's never changed When I Lived in the wild, it was always hot and sunny. Seeing the earth Covered in a thick Sheet of What I assumed to be white paint.

"W-WHAT IS THAT STUFF?!?"

"IT ATE THE PLANTS!!"

"KENAI!!" I paw at his snout, whining. He Groans, Before yawning. "Fuck- Alright alright. You win kid. Sheesh. I'm up." He stretches his paws out, before arching his back like a cat, Probably trying to wake his body up.

"Well, that's snow. There's alot of this shit in Colder areas of japan."
"But....Why does it Eat everything?" He narrows his eyes at me. "It's not being eaten knit-whit. The plants aren't completely dying, think of it as Hibernating, but for plants and trees. They live and breathe just as Much as Us; earth dwellers."

"Wow." I Felt my Tail thump against the surface of the cave, as I peer out in awe. "Does it...hurt you?" I bat, at the snow with my paw before yelping at the Abrupt intense coldness It held.

"No, it's just cold as hell. Or uh, ice."

I let my paw sink into the snow before pulling it back. I looked at my footprint. It was Really cold, and squishy. I sniff it. I try stepping into it, but it was so hard to walk with these Tiny legs. The farther I got, the deeper it Grew. Eventually I started freaking out.

"K-KENAI HELP!!" he rolls his eyes, Scrambling to my aid. He pinches the Scruff of my fur, as carefully as possible- pulling me free from the Monsterous ice.
He Throws me onto his back. I sniffle, "It Almost Ate me!!! How is this normal? I've never seen this stuff at home!!"

"It's A pain in the ass to walk in kid, but look up." I sigh at his words, before lifting my muzzle to the sky.

White Diamonds, fall from the sky. My ears twitch, I could almost hear them twinkling, like stars.
"Woahh." I Tilt my head in curiosity, as he catches one with his paw, revealing it to me. "It'll melt, and we'll see the plants again. So don't worry kid." I nodded.

What a strange Dream. It was So long ago. It feels like just yesterday Things were like that.
I miss those days. Life was so much easier back then. Until I started growing.

Now I'm like the size of a car.
And Kenai's the one riding on my back. I was stuck in that small, vulnerable form for so long, it was a while before I'd finally Changed back. I'd have to measure my growth through dog years, but still it was hard to remember. Things were hard to understand Back then, my brain was really Small, and of course so was I.