chapter 23: a perfect life

~ • ~

"KENAI!! WHERE ARE YOU!!"
Shit kid!! Can't a Raccoon Eat a Candy-rapper in Peace???"
"U-Uh, what's a Canned rapper?"

It was bright and sunny today.
We lived on the countryside, or At least, what we considered the countryside- which mainly consists of Both crop and Animal Farms.

Our home Was in an oak tree. I was much smaller around That time. Probably about the size of A baseball.

The air was a mixture of cold, and warm. The wind felt like cool water against my fur. He gives me a look, that Basically labeled me dumb, as hell"Its called a candy, bar, Rapper."
"Thats what I Just said." I tilted my head confused.

He sighs in defeat. "it's...something for Adults." I nod, flashing A toothy grin. "Why are all of those animals Gathered in one spot??"

He glances from me, To The Big Red Building; and the gates encasing it. "Humans el, take whatever they can Get; going towards the colder season."

"But why do they need the animals??"

"Some are used for food, some help produce Food, and Some Help make Objects."

"They use..Animals for food? Like my pack...."
"Don't get any ideas. Your Only like this because of those Crazy ass humans."
"Aren't I Human?"
"Yes knit-whit...some Humans are crazy, and some are good. You've got to know when to tell the difference." I nod. Lifting my Snout as the cool breeze flows through my Silky (h/c) fur.

"Life has a strange way of working, Ya know kid? Humans don't normally have to worry about survival."

"Then what would we worry about?"
"Well, for starters you'd worry about yourself, and your life. Your future. But it'd be okay."

"What is Life? Can it be perfect? Is it perfect for humans??"
He purses his lips before sighing. "It's only perfect if you Make it perfect."

"How can I make it perfect?"
He shrugs, "You can live your life, take risks, and Save people. You can become a hero, and you can meet people Who change you For the better, and for the worst. You can Fall in love, And have your own litter of Children. Then one day you can Rest, and be reuinited with the ones you've lost."

"Like my mother??"
He flashes a half smile, which looked weird Considering He was a raccoon. But it was sweet. He pats my head, "Like your mother."
I Couldn't help but beam a bright smile, wagging my Tail. "That sounds so wonderful. I wonder if I could live a life like that..."

"Kenai...you knew my mother Right?"

"Yeah kid." He said this Solemnly, almost Like He Wanted to break mid-sentence.

"What was She like?"
He looks out at the Cornfield,
We remain purched at the entrance of the tree. The view was Amazing.

"Well, For one. She was a pain in the ass to Put up with. She May have been Hard headed; but she was Smart. She knew what was best for you."

"Did she have a perfect life?"
He shook his head yet again.
"Her life Wasn't perfect. She spent the majority of her years held in captivity before Giving birth to you."

"Why are humans just..so awful.."

He flicks me in the forehead, "Stop Beating yourself up over Things you don't Understand knit-whit. None of this was your fault."
He pinches the Scruff of my Fur. Before throwing me onto his back.