chapter 2: Long live the silence *

~ • ~

I COULDN'T LET MYSELF PEER
Into my bag, not even to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. Kenai sat curled up into an angry ball. I was relieved he actually wanted to stay at my side; I really didn't want to leave him behind.

But our home was being taken--he lived there too--which meant he needed somewhere to go too, that and he was basically the only thing I've ever had even close to a father. Racoons naturally live in dumpsters, but...That was our dumpster.

We've lived there for almost an entire year now. It was our territory. Then this man just comes along and offers up a bag of beef jerky, as calm and collected as he could possibly be, saying 'Oh yeah, the humans have decided we're destroying your home now. You're not allowed to live here anymore.'

Okay so maybe that's not exactly how it happened, but still. You don't just come strolling on into someone's life forcing them to leave behind the one place that welcomed them when no one else in the world would. I was only just now starting to regret every second thought I'd ever had about that place. I took our time there forgranted.

I hadn't a clue what this man had planned for me, why the hell did I trust him like that? He could've seen me naked and just thought,

'Great new meat on the street. Time to rape this homeless girl and end her life...'

Good grief why can't I just accept the help that I need for once in my god given life? Maybe he's actually a really good person and I'm just putting too much thought into his actions. I tend to overthink things alot. It usually drives Kenai insane listening to me incessantly ramble on about all the worst things that could happen just stepping foot outside the dumpster.

I mentally scolded myself, only to be interrupted by the soft spoken dreary eyed man leading me somewhere. I forgot where. I didn't even know where the hell we were going--

"I called in a favor from a 'friend' of mine. You're going to stay with me for the time being." He put extra emphasis on friend, as though he honestly despised saying such a word. I shivered anxiously, staring at the ground. Dragging my bare feet over the dark sidewalk.

"H-How did you know what I was thinking?"

"C-Can you read my mind too-!? AAAHH--!! GET OUTA MY HEAD!!" I covered my ears, scrunching my eyes closed. He rolls his eyes, shaking his head. "If I could read your mind, you definetely wouldn't be here. I'd have helped you a long time ago."

I merely sigh, "S-So...you...you've been watching me?" I trailed off, quivering like a leaf. I felt my breathes hitch in my lungs. "You...you were the one watching us all this time...weren't you--?!"

"A-Are you like...a stalker?" I glance up at him; my right ear twitching vigorously. He shot me an icy glare. "I'll just...stop talking now..." I added before dropping my weary orbs back onto asphalt rolling beneath my bare feet.

"Taking you to get those wounds healed is first on the agenda. I've already got a meeting scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. We'll confront the principal, and figure out what to do with you then."

There was this twinge of pain in my heart. The way he spoke of me, like I were some junk he'd have to struggle to find the time to get rid of. Maybe I was just a very sensitive person, I didn't expect to take anything he'd have said to heart. Hell I hardly even knew this guy, but what he said kind of hurt.

"What you're going to 'do' with me?" I felt my voice crack. He heaves a dry sigh. In reassurance he glanced back at me, with pursed lips. "Don't worry. You're going to be fine, just leave it to the Pros."