50

16 hours.

16 hours they waited while he was in surgery. But finally, the doctor came. "Luke Hemmings?" Ashton was the first one to his feet followed by everyone else. "I-is he okay?" He asked. "He is fine. He lost tremendous amount of blood, he flatlined a couple times during surgery, the bullets were in hard to get places, that's why it took a little bit longer than usual, recovery should be just fine, he hasn't woken up yet, but you guys are allowed to go see him."

They all walked to Luke's room and there were many wires connecting him to the machines that were surrounding him. The sight was really horrible and heartbreaking, but seeing him breath just relieved him so much. But Ashton couldn't step foot in the room.

"I-I can't." He muttered as everyone stared at him running away. "We'll go get him." Michael spoke as him and Calum followed him.

Ashton ran outside sitting on a bench near the entrance. "Ashton, you know if he wakes up and you're not in there he's gonna ask questions." Michael started sitting next to him. "I-I know Mike, but I'm scared." Ashton started.

"What if he never wants to talk to me again when he wakes up? What if he's mad at me? What if he never forgives me?" Ashton trembled. "Why would he do that?" He asked.

"Because I promised him I would do everything I can to keep him safe. And look where that ended up. I couldn't even do anything when he was bleeding, I was so helpless and he might never wake up because of it. I-I could've tried harder to fight against Victor but I didn't. And because of that I broke all the promises I made." He cried into his hands.

"Okay yes, you couldn't do anything, but you had a good reason for that and Luke knows that. I'm pretty sure he knows you were with him when you were able to, you were with him all the way to the hospital, because of you, he didn't die." Michael assured.

Ashton sighed not knowing what to do, Michael stood up going to leave, but Calum shooed him away so they could talk.

"He loves you, you know? He would always talk so highly of you. He didn't give up on you when things got hard or when people like Victor were targeting him, so you need to be there for him and not give up because right now, he needs you Ashton. If not for you, or Mike, or your Dad. Do it for Luke." Then he left.

Ashton sighed, thinking long and hard about what could happen, but he never thought of what was happening at this second. Luke needed him, he realized that. He also realized that he needs Luke too. He had to face his fears and just be there for Luke no matter what he says to Ashton.

He felt his feet start moving and before he knew it, he was outside Luke's room. His eyes were still closed and he's never wanted to see those blue eyes more than he did right now.

Everyone in the room stared at Ashton, trying to figure out what he's going to do next, then Andrew moved off the chair closest t Luke, so Ashton could sit. "Where are his things?" He asked.

Michael handed him a bag with all his personal things that were on him before they prepped him for surgery. Ashton dug around hoping the thing he was looking for was still here, when he found it, he could feel everyone's stares on the ring.

"I-it's not an engagement ring. Even I know we're too young. It's just a promise ring." He spoke while walking over to Luke and sliding it on his finger again. He brought his hand up to his lips, kissing it softly as his eyes watered. "I'm here baby. I'm right here."

"Ashton, we're gonna go down to the cafeteria, you want anything?" Michael asked to which he shook his head to.

When everyone left, he inhaled with some shakiness to it and started speaking.