Relationships

November 2018

It's raining the night after Halloween and the soft patter of drops outside seem to be keeping Moonhae awake. It's usual repetitiveness doesn't soothe her as it does most days, now just making her uneasy for some reason. Even huddled in her many blankets on her bed, she feels empty. Has the space next to her on the mattress always been this big? 

Not even her phone lights up. Maybe the occasional supportive message from Jimin comes through, but she hopes for someone else's name to appear on her display. It doesn't though. And it aches her.

She distracts herself by letting an old movie run on her TV, but when it starts reminding her too much of the person she loves, she decides to switch it off. It must be around 5am when there's a faint knock at her door. Hesitant at first, she slowly gets up from her bundle of covers and heads towards the entrance. Something in her stomach flutters when she rests her hand on the door handle.

With just a crack open, she spots Taehyung standing there. His head is slightly lowered, but the dark circles under his puffy red eyes are clearly visible. He looks like a mess with his disheveled brown hair and his baggy clothes.

"Moonhae...", his eyes start tearing up again when he sees her head poking out from around the door.

"Why did you come?", her own voice is quiet and highly unstable.

"C-can we talk? Please?", there's a note of desperation.

She leads him into the room after giving him a short nod. All she wanted was to see him again, but now that he's here, seeing him like this, just breaks her heart even more.

"Moonhae...", he sits at the edge of her bed, looking up at her with exhausted eyes, "I'm so sorry."

"Tae...", she sighs.

"No, please, I can't go on like this", his hands go up to wipe away his tears, "I haven't slept in three days and I need you to know that I'm sorry."

She steps towards him, but he continues with a shaky breath, "I should've never said those horrible things to you. I should've understood that you did those things, because you cared about us. Bringing up Jaewon... That was so wrong. I can't believe I said all of that and didn't even realize it was wrong until Jimin talked to me. He made me realize how badly I hurt you in return for hurting me..."

"Tae, please...", she starts again, though he cuts her off again.

"Moonhae, I can't live without you", desperation fills his eyes, "I can't even spend the day away from you without loosing sleep. I love you so much it scares me and I need you by my side. And I know I hurt you and I'm so sorry..."

"Taehyung, please stop apologizing", she finally gets to speak, "It's not your fault. I should have seen how hurtful it is to pretend our relationship is a product. Even if it's just for the managers, it's not right."

"I'm so sorry", he merely repeats, now breaking into sobs. Sobs of relief.

Immediately, she goes to comfort him, wrapping her arms around his head so he's resting against her stomach.

"I love you", she whispers, stroking his soft hair.

When the tears of the boy in her arms eventually dry, they lay next to each other to fall asleep. As they intertwine to comfort one another, the warmth of their company quickly eases them to get some much needed rest.

"I'm glad you two made up just in time", Jimin smiles down at Moonhae, who's busy stuffing some last minute items into her suitcase.