The Collab

May 2017

Moon rides the elevator up to the Big Hit studio with her team, some butterflies fluttering around her stomach. When her manager told her she would be featured on one of BTS's new songs, she couldn't believe it. Of course she wanted to see the boys again, but it also took her forever to convince her boyfriend she was completely loyal to him. Luckily, he didn't have another outburst like the one back in February, but he was upset for a long time. At the moment, however, they're on fairly good terms. Before she left for her meeting today, he texted her that he loves and trusts her. Sometimes he can be so sweet.

The elevator door slides open and they're ushered into a waiting room lined with couches. After a few minutes of sitting and waiting, the doors open and a chaotic group of seven boys stumble in after their manager.

"Moon!", Jungkook says excitedly.

"So good to see you!", Jimin's eyes squint cutely as he smiles.

Moon gets up from her seat and greets them happily , "I can't believe we're actually doing a collab."

"Yes, well there are some ground rules to go over", Bang PD interjects.

"Of course", Moon's manager looks over the papers Bang PD has handed him.

"Can we go into the studio while you look over the contract?", Yoongi suggests scratching behind his right ear.

Moon looks at her manager with pleading eyes and he sighs, motioning for her to do as she pleases. The eight of them leave the room hurriedly like excited children before anyone can change their mind.

"Well, your manager seems... strict?", Jin tries to phrase it diplomatically.

"Oh, he's horrible", Moon admits openly.

"You should hire a new one then", Hoseok tells her.

"I can't do that without leaving the label", she explains, "With the way things are going, I feel like they're going to drop me any day anyway..."

"We're going to make the best song ever together. There's no way they'll drop you", Jimin smiles encouragingly.

"Maybe you should just join our label instead", Taehyung jokes.

They finally reach the main studio and Yoongi swings the doors open to reveal where the magic happens. Moon gasps in awe and Yoongi looks pleased at her reaction. The recording studio is one of the nicest she's ever seen and there's many traditional instruments lined up along the walls, adding character.

Yoongi sits down at the modern piano in the corner and looks up at Moon, who's still exploring the room.

"Should we see what we're working with?", he asks her, pressing some keys on the piano.

"We get to write the song?", her eyes widen in disbelief.

"Of course", Namjoon says, "Well, at least most of it."

She turns to look at Namjoon. Their eyes interlock, probably for the first time in about six years, and it seems as though some memories start crashing back. There's a moment of understanding, but it's gone as quick as it came and Moon turns away.

"Play something", she tells Yoongi and he obliges.

It's a soft tune, played with a lot of emotion and Moon can't help but hum along. She strides over to the piano, standing closely next to Yoongi and starts singing harmonies that compliment the melody perfectly. Enjoying the moment and letting herself go along with the music, she closes her eyes. She can't see Yoongi, who looks up at her in awe, with that special twinkle in his eyes. The other members listen intently as well, their attention caught by the perfect harmony, but Yoongi hears much more. He hears a real music lover. A composer at heart, just like himself.

He finishes playing and Moon open her eyes again and looks down at Yoongi, who gazes up at her, his mouth slightly open.

"I think I can write something good", he finally says, making Moon smile.

"Your voice is high and soft, kind of like Jimin's", Taehyung remarks fondly, "You two would make a great duet."

"I think her voice would go really well with your deep voice though, Tae", Jimin replies. "They would compliment each other perfectly."

"I think I go best with Hobi. His voice is what I wish I sounded like", Moon jokes and makes the members laugh.

"I'm down for a duet!", Hoseok exclaims before jokingly belting out an off-pitch note.

"Me too!", Jungkook gets in the middle like a small child and sings a beautiful run.

"Ok, ok, Jungkook. We all know you can sing", Jin rolls his eyes, shoving the maknae to the side.

In the middle of their session of goofing off, Moon's manager and Bang PD enter the studio looking stern.

"Alright, boys, listen up", Bang PD raises his voice, "Both you and Moonhae have a very limited time frame to complete this song due to everyone's busy schedules. We already have a few sample melodies you can go with. As always you'll be working with our writers and then run it by our team."

"What about Moon? She's writing with us, right?", Yoongi interjects.

"No, that will not be the case", her manager steps forward, "She will meet up with you twice more to discuss changes to the song and then review the final product, but other than that she will not be part of the writing. After that, of course we have a music video to film, but that can be discussed later..."

Moon just stares at him with a blank expression, feeling the boys' eyes on her. She knew this would be the case. It was silly for her to have any other kind of expectations.

"So that's it then?", she doesn't break eye contact with her manager.

"Pretty much. Anything else I can discuss with you later", he replies with that devilish smile of his.

The seven boys say their goodbyes to Moon, the atmosphere has become a lot more sombre. It's as if they feel sorry for her and she hates that feeling. As she's being driven back to her label's studio, her manager goes on and on about her inability to not cause scandals and the fact that she's such a difficult idol to manage. She barely listens to him anymore. Maybe that's part of the problem.

That's when her phone buzzes with a new notification. It's a message from a new group chat she's been added to. The group name reads: Most Magical Collab.

"Hey Moon, we just wanted to let you know that no matter what your manager says we want you to have as much input in this song as we have. It's our project after all and that most certainly includes you", the first message reads. Surprisingly, it's from Yoongi.

"We're here for you!", Taehyung writes.

"Fighting!", Jungkook cheers.

Moon can't help but smile down at her phone. How on earth can this group of people be so loving and sweet? How on earth does she deserve all of their kindness? It's been a while since she's felt this kind of support. It really touches her heart.

"Thank you", she types, but she feels like she needs to say more, "It means a lot to me."

"Btw Jimin chose the group chat name so...", Yoongi writes next.

"Hey! I thought it would be sweet!", Jimin tries to defend himself.

Moon has to restrain herself from giggling, she's in the car with her manager after all. If he catches her texting the Bangtan boys behind his back, she's sure things won't end well. However, that doesn't stop her from enjoying the conversation with her new friends.