72

We turned our attention back to Sam as he slowly made his way out into the hall, all of us following. Corey had the second camera in one of his hands and the EMF meter in the other. Jake was clutching Shrek and Colby was holding my hand. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the green grid light. We made our way completely into the hallway and stopped for a moment, looking left and right trying to decide which way to go.

I moved the grid light slowly around our field of vision, waiting to see if anything was going to move out of the shadows.

"Okay, let's go," Sam whispered much sooner than I wanted him to.

Huddled together, we all slowly started to walk down the hall toward the stairs. I shined my flashlight back toward the end of the hall, shuddering at how creepy the hole in the wall that led down to that cursed basement looked.

"Wait," Corey said. We had barely made it ten feet from the door.

"What now, Corey?" Sam asked.

"Bates gave us that number for the sheriff. Can we call him?" Corey asked.

"Why?" asked Colby.

"There's a giant ass gate protecting this place. I'm sure the police would be able to check if anyone else has tried to come in here," said Corey.

"That's a really good point, actually," I said.

"Corey's the new DSFMF," Jake said.

"The fucking what?" I asked.

"Designated Smart Female Mom Friend," Jake said.

"That is strangely specific," I said.

"The only other ones I could think of are DUFF and TGIWB," Jake said. "And you're definitely not a DUFF."

"DUFF?" asked Sam.

"Designated ugly fat friend?" asked Corey.

"Then what the hell is TGIWB?" I asked.

"That girl I want to bang," said Corey. I felt my face get red and I was extremely thankful we were in the dark.

"What, so you said she's definitely not a DUFF but not that she's not TFIWB?" Colby asked.

"I didn't want you to think I was calling her unappealing!" Jake said.

"Oh, like you would let an ugly girl join the team," said Corey.

"What!" said Jake.

"Corey's right, you wouldn't have been so okay with letting a girl join if you didn't think she was pretty," said Sam.

"What?" I asked.

"This was a legit part of our decision. That you'd be the only girl," said Sam.

"What, and my level of hotness impacted that decision?" I asked.

"Yes," Jake and Corey said.

"No!" Sam said after them. "Obviously not!"

"What do you mean 'obviously'?" I asked.

"Oh my god," Colby said.

"I just meant that we value ethics and overall impact over looks," said Sam.