Chapter 54

"Dude, you have to admit it," said Jake.

"Yeah, he's right," said Corey.

"Yes, okay, it's pretty cute," Sam said.

I opened my eyes to see sunlight flooding in through the window and the guys all standing at the foot of the air mattress staring at me. I looked down to see Colby's arms wrapped around my waist and his head resting on my chest.

"Corey," I said, rubbing my eyes.

"What?" he asked.

"Has your hand fallen off?" I asked. He looked down at it, then walked over to the window and held it in the light for a second.

"No, ma'am. It has not. Thank you, Mom," he said. I smiled.

"So why are you all standing here watching us sleep?" I asked with a yawn.

"Sorry, that probably seems a little creepy. Colby never hears or notices us when he's asleep," said Sam. "We were going to wake you guys up, though. We wanted to go see those other buildings Bates was talking about."

"Oh yeah. I forgot about those," I said, sitting up. Colby's head slid off of me.

"Hmmm," Colby groaned.

"Get up," said Jake.

"Mmm," Colby responded.

"Is he even awake or just managing to subconsciously respond?" I asked.

"The second one," said Corey. I looked down at Colby's face squished against the air mattress. I poked his shoulder.

"Rise and shine, Sleeping Beauty," I said.

"Nooo," he whined, pulling me back into him.

"Colby, we have to get up now," I said.

"We do not," he said. His hands were around my waist and he rolled over, holding me on top of him.

"Let's go, bucko," I said. I took his hands off my waist and got up off of him.

"Come baaack," he groaned. "I want a huggg."

"Great, come give me a hug," I said. He sighed.

"I hate you guys," Colby said.

"No, you don't. Come on, let's go find somewhere to put that sticker," Sam said.

"Ugh," Colby said. He sat up and stretched for a minute before standing up. "Do I get my hug now?"

"Always, brother," Corey said, walking over and giving Colby a hug.

"Colby sandwich," Jake said, hugging Colby from behind. I looked at Sam, who shrugged.

"Why not," he said. Sam and I went to Colby's sides that Jake and Corey weren't standing at and joined in on the hug.

"Again, I hate you guys," Colby said, his voice muffled by Corey's shirt.

"Okay, okay, Let him be," Sam said, stepping back. We all let go of him and laughed. Colby came over to me and hugged me, alone, squeezing me too hard.

"Hey, breathing. That would be cool," I wheezed.

"Yup, just a second. You can still talk. You're fine," he said. I drew my knee back and started to jut it up, and he immediately jumped back.