Chapter 41

I could have just killed all of them. We could have just died, and all I had to do for none of this to even happen was to just look down at that fucking bottle. It had been less than six inches away from the jar of teeth I had seen. That was a small tray. Hell, I had to have actually seen the bottle. I just didn't bother to read or check it, even though I was fully fucking aware of all the dangerous things that could be in it.

I'm not sure how long Colby just stood there, letting me cry, while all of the guys watched me break down into a fucking mess. There goes my chance at still being friends with them after this. I didn't stop crying for a long time. Not even when they started talking again.

"We should go back upstairs," Sam said.

"Yeah. Come on, Ness, let's go upstairs to talk," Colby said, pulling back to lead me with him. But I still didn't move. My hands stayed glued over my mouth and my eyes did not open. Colby sighed, then bent down to pick me up. He put one hand under my knees and the other under my neck and carried me up the stairs.

I heard the other guys' footsteps get distant from Colby and me. Colby stopped walking and sat down on the floor. He leaned his back against the wall and just held me, holding the back of my head to lightly push my face against his chest.

"It's okay," he whispered. "I know that was scary. But you saved Corey from getting hurt," Colby said. I literally laughed when he said that. I moved away from his chest and opened my eyes to stare up at him. "Wh—are you laughing?" he asked. I moved my hands away from my mouth.

"You think I'm crying because I'm scared? No. I don't give a rat's ass that it was scary. People get scared all the fucking time. That's not the problem. The problem is that I knew what kind of stuff could be in that room and you didn't.

"I saw that tray and ignored the bottle without thinking what could possibly be in there. That stuff could have killed us at any second we were in that room depending on how potent it was. All I had to do was fucking think for one goddamn second and I wouldn't have had to save Corey from touching it. I should have saved all of us from even breathing it. You told me on the plane that we all needed to do everything we could to keep each other safe, and I didn't do that. That was my fault. We could have all just actually died, and it would have been my fault," I said.

I saw something in his eyes that I hadn't ever seen. It was pain. It pained him to see me laying there like the mess that I was and tell him that I thought it was my fault. But that didn't change how I felt. I was still the one to blame.

He pulled me back into him. I started crying again. I didn't like that I was making Colby sad, but I couldn't stop crying. The tears just kept coming. I wasn't making any noise, my body wasn't moving from the force of it. There were just masses of tears streaming out of my eyes.

"Oh, baby," he said. He kissed me on the head. "I know that I can sit here and tell you that none of us think it's your fault, but that won't change how you feel. So instead of that, let's talk about something else. Is your leg feeling any better?" he asked. I jolted up when he said that.

"My leg," I said, my eyes wide. "My fucking leg," I repeated, jumping up. I ran down the hallway to the room. "SAM!" I screamed before I even got there.

"What? What's wrong?" Sam asked, jogging out of the doorway.

"Did you bring a first aid kit or anything like that?" I asked.

"Yes, do you need a band aid for your leg?" he asked, walking into the room to get it.

"No, I need an alcohol wipe or some Neosporin or whatever the hell you have and I need it right the fuck now," I said.

"Okay, okay, I have both. Which do you want first?" he asked.

"Wipe," I said. I untied Colby's shirt from my leg and looked down at my cut. It was deeper than I'd thought. And there was pus leaking out of the bottom. Yellow pus.

"Oh, fuck, no. No, this isn't happening," I said. I took the wipe from Sam and bit my finger to not scream from how much the alcohol stung. "We need to go get hydrogen peroxide right now. Right now," I said, smearing Neosporin onto it. I hopped up and started running down the stairs.

"Oh! Colby! We need to go to the store! Right now!" Sam yelled. I heard Colby's footsteps jogging toward me.

"Why?" he asked. I could hear the four of them running down the stairs after me.

"I don't know, she's randomly freaking out about that cut she got," said Sam.

"I know, she started yelling about it and stopped crying when I asked if it hurt," said Colby.

"Let's fucking go!" I screamed up at them. I pulled the door open, which took almost all my strength, but didn't stop to react to Jake asking how the hell I opened it so fast. I ran to the car and hopped into the passenger seat. Sam got in, started the car, and started driving back toward the gate.