Chapter 11

"What?" I asked, pulling my phone out and plugging it in.

            "Your face," he said. He hadn't seen me without makeup before.

            "Yes, what about it?" I asked.

            "Your freckles," he said, smiling.

            "Oh. Yeah, I have a lot," I said, reaching up to my face and running my hand along the bridge of my nose.

            "So are you actually a ginger like you suggested earlier?" he asked, walking back over to the other side of the bed. I laughed.

            "No, I'm a brunette. A very curly-headed brunette. Not like these curls," I said, pointing up at my messy bun. I had straightened and then curled my hair today. "Like, actual, real curls, not ones that start halfway down my head and all look perfectly symmetrical," I said.

            "Can't wait to see them," he said. I couldn't help but smile.

            "If I let you," I said.

            "What's that supposed to mean?" he asked.

            "It means I rarely ever leave my hair natural," I said.

            "Well, I'm going to take a guess and say that you don't ever leave your face natural either, which is truly a disgrace to this world. Not that you're any less attractive with makeup on, obviously, since that's the point of makeup, but natural beauty isn't super common and now I see why," he said.

            "What? Why?" I asked.

            "Because you've kept it all for yourself," he said.

            "Oh, shut up, Brock," I said, throwing a pillow at him. He let out a laugh.

            "What? Don't like me calling you beautiful?" he asked. I rolled my eyes.

            "You're so sappy," I said.

            "I thought girls liked that," he responded.

            "Some might. I don't. I mean, I don't dislike it, but it's not my thing. I might have a job that makes me seem like and I might look like I'm a girly girl, but I'm definitely not. Hell, I was raised on a farm," I said.

            "What? You? No way," he said.

            "Yes, way. A goat farm. I learned how to drive a four-wheeler before the age of fourteen and hadn't driven any car except for a pickup truck until the age of eighteen. I moved out here when I was 19 to go to UCLA, but I could barely afford it anyway, so when I applied at Chanel and somehow got accepted, I decided to drop the whole college thing because I make plenty of money at Chanel without a degree," I said.

            "What were you going to study? At UCLA?" Colby asked.

            "Psychology. But doctorates are crazy expensive. I'm not really sure what the hell I was thinking, moving to an expensive city with just enough money to pay for two semesters worth of schooling and living," I said.

            "Are you happy with that? Not being a psychologist?" he asked.

            "You know, I actually am. I've taken a real liking to fashion and design. I'm pretty good at it, too. We have some employee competitions at work just for fun sometimes, I've won quite a few," I said.

            "And I would have expected nothing less from you," Colby said. He got up and closed his door, then turned off the lights. I heard him walk back over and felt the bed dip down when he got in. I laid back down and slipped myself under the covers. I rolled onto my side, facing away from Colby, and closed my eyes.

            I yawned again and felt Colby's arm reach around my waist one more time. He gently pulled me over to him, my back pressed against his chest. Our skin was pressing against each other in the places that my bralette didn't cover. He felt so warm and safe. He left his arm around my waist, and I scooted myself back into him a little more.

            "Goodnight," he said quietly, kissing the back of my head.

            "Goodnight," I squeaked back. This was, like, my lifelong dream a couple of years ago. I still watched every single video he and his friends uploaded, but seeing and talking to Colby in person reminded me why I'd liked him so much in the first place. I liked him even more, now. I felt him stretch his legs out against mine and fell asleep feeling him breathe against me.