Chapter 20

I woke up to the annoying sound of the iPhone default alarm. I opened my eyes to find myself resting my head and one hand on Colby's chest, one of his arms under my neck, reaching down to hold my side. I sat up and reached over him to hit snooze for him. He'd moved a little bit, but not when the alarm had gone off. Just when I had gotten off of him. I laid back down where I had been and listened to his steady heartbeat until his alarm went off again.

            Again, I pressed the snooze button and laid back down. He rolled over onto his side toward me, his arm pulling my face against his chest. He put his other arm around my waist and his hand rested on the top of my butt. I wondered if he was awake or still asleep.

            "Colby," I whispered as quietly as I could. He didn't answer, didn't move. His breathing and heart rate stayed the same. He was definitely still asleep. I smiled into his chest at the idea of him still holding me while he was asleep.

            My alarm went off next, and rolling away from Colby to turn it off was one of the most difficult things I'd ever had to do. I sat up and reached over to turn it off, then got out of bed and stretched for a minute. I looked down at Colby, and although it was dark, my eyes had gotten used to it and I could see his cute face, his arms still held out from when he was holding me. I quietly unplugged my phone and slipped out of his room.

            I took my makeup bag out of my purse and started on it. I did a full face and, like I had told Colby, two sharp black wings and mascara for my eye makeup. I put on a bright red matte liquid lipstick to match the red fishnets I'd brought. I left my hair in its extremely messy messy bun. My alarm for Colby went off halfway through, but I didn't want to wake him up yet. He just had to get dressed. That was it.

I quietly unzipped my suitcase and pulled out my outfit. I pulled on my fishnets, black ripped cutoffs, and then my cropped No Name shirt, then finished it off with my Doc Martens. I put back in the big silver hoops I'd taken out before bed last night and put on my silver barbed wire necklace. I looked down at the time, which was only 4:37. I went back into the room, turned on the light, and turned off Colby's alarm, which had probably been going off for a while.

"Hey, Colby," I said softly, wiggling his shoulder. "Wake up," I said.

"Hmm?" he said, obviously not awake enough to comprehend anything I'd said. I leaned down and kissed him on the cheek, and his eyes immediately opened.

"Hi," he said, his voice gravelly, a big smile spread across his face.

"Hi. You're terrible at getting up on time. I hope you didn't actually need an hour," I said.

"Oh, fuck. What time is it?" he said, sitting up to rub his eyes.

"Four forty. You've got to get ready," I said.

"Shit. Thanks for waking me up," he said, standing up and quickly kissing my forehead again. He stumbled over to his closet, clearly still trying to wake up all the way.

"Clothes," he said, opening his closet. He spun around. "How are you already dressed? And you have your makeup done? And your outfit is so incredibly sexy," he said, getting distracted at the last part, letting his eyes look at the small part of my stomach that was showing, then down at my fishnets that I was wearing under shorts that I suddenly realized were very, very short.

"Come on, buddy. Let's go," I said, snapping in front of his face.

"Right," he said. He sifted through his shirts and pulled out a black hoodie, with No Name written on the front in red. I wondered if he even realized I was wearing a shirt identical to it. Probably not, honestly. He grabbed a t-shirt and a pair of ripped black jeans and walked into the bathroom to change. I grabbed my phone charger and my makeup bag out of his room and brought all of my things out to the living room to put into either my purse or suitcase. He came out a minute later, his hair somehow looking perfect, and stared at me.

"What?" I asked. He looked down at the hoodie he was wearing, then back up at me. "I was wondering if you'd noticed and done that on purpose or not," I said.

"Definitely didn't, but I'm not going to change," he said, quickly walking back into his room. He came out a second later, carrying his Vans with a duffle bag slung over his shoulder. He dropped his shoes and slid them on, then ran his hand through his hair, his silver rings glinting in the kitchen light. He yawned before talking to me.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Yup," I responded. I grabbed my suitcase and purse. "We going to Sam's?"

"Mhm. Next door," he said. I walked out of Colby apartment and to Sam's, but I felt weird knocking on the door so early. I stepped back to let Colby go first, who pressed Sam's doorbell at least ten times until Sam opened the door.

"Colby? You're ready? On time?" Sam asked.

"You're welcome," I said.

"Dang, dude. Nice," said Sam, reaching out and giving me a high five. Sam walked back into his apartment for a second to grab his own suitcase and a backpack. I saw that Jake was already in there, grabbing his suitcase handle as well.

"Corey's on his way in the Uber," said Sam, walking out the door. The four of us headed to the elevator, stepping in after it immediately opened for us. Jake let out a big yawn.

"How'd you get up?" asked Jake, stretching his arms. "You were ready five minutes early instead of twenty minutes late," he said. Jake looked over at me. "Nice shirt, too, brother," he said.

"Thanks. Colby decided to copy me," I said, pointing at Colby's hoodie.

"I did not!" he said.

"I got dressed before you did, and you saw me before you put on a shirt," I said.

"Okay, yeah, but I wasn't paying attention to what shirt you were wearing," Colby said. "And I don't know how I got up. That's a good question. How did you wake me up?" he asked, turning to me.

"I turned on your light, turned off your alarm, and shook your shoulder until you answered me," I said.

"That doesn't ever work for me!" said Sam.

"Okay, I kissed him on the cheek, which is what made him actually open his eyes," I said.

"Ah, got to try that next time, brother," Jake said, tapping the side of his head with one finger.

"I definitely will," Sam said. We filed out of the elevator to see an Uber waiting outside, Corey sitting up front. We put our bags in the trunk, and Colby and I climbed to the third row of seats while Sam and Jake sat in the second row.