Chapter 48

Sam handed Corey the camera. Corey pointed it at Sam.

"So, Nessa. You were talking about lobotomies. I know about the first kind, plus you explained it. For those of you who don't know what a lobotomy is, it was this super gruesome thing that doctors would do to some patients. It's called a lobotomy because it targets the frontal lobe of your brain. Doctors would basically drill into their heads while they were awake, and try to poke holes in the brain in hopes that it would essentially 'kill' the 'infected' part of a patient's brain," Sam said. "What was the other kind?"

"Yeah, so the reason that first kind wasn't working very well is because it took a lot of strength and time to manually drill through the skin and skull, plus the patients would be moving the whole time and screaming since they were awake. They switched to the ice pick lobotomy, which was that sharp thing in that container that Corey talked about in the basement. They'd use electric shocks to make the patient unconscious for a little while, and then angle the ice pick upward under the patient's eyelid. They would hammer it into the brain and then twist it to rip apart brain tissue and matter. It would completely destroy the person's ability to feel emotion or even have a personality anymore, and the whole thing took less than ten minutes," I said.

"Then they stopped doing those?" asked Jake.

"Yeah, they did some other stuff to different body parts when they decided the brain couldn't have been the issue, which couldn't have been further from the truth," I said.

"Let's talk about that later so I don't vomit right now, please and thank you," Corey said.

"You got it," I said. We walked back into the room and the guys set the cameras down.

"We sleeping with the door open or closed?" asked Jake.

"Open," Sam and Colby said at the same time Corey said closed.

"I'm not trying to open my eyes in the middle of the night and see some ghost child staring back at me from the hallway," said Corey.

"Then sleep where you can't see the hallway," I said.

"Stop having good ideas! Stop making valid points! I want the door shut!" Corey said.

"No, brother. We're leaving it open," Jake said.

"Fine," Corey said, angrily walking over to his cot. I went over to the cooler to switch out my makeshift ice pack.

"Nessa, can you stay facing that way for a second so we can change?" asked Sam.

"You got it. Can you hand me the back with the med stuff in it? My gauze got a little wet from the condensation," I said. Jake handed me the bag and I turned toward the cooler, which was up against a wall. I got to work changing my gauze and then wrapped the icepack in way more paper towels this time to keep the cut dry in order for it to scab over faster.

"You're all good," Jake said. I finished taping everything up and turned back around.

"I'm going to set up the night vision camera. We can turn it into a time lapse later instead of now in case anything happens," Sam said.

"Sounds good," Corey said, crawling into his sleeping bag. I looked over at Colby, who hadn't bothered to put on a shirt like everyone else. Why did he have to be so damn hot? It was hard enough not to stare at him in general, not to mention when he wasn't fully clothed and only wearing light grey sweatpants with his Calvins peeking out of the top. Sam walked over to set up the camera and sighed.

"I need to have it high up to actually see us, but I can't do that unless I cut Nessa out of the frame," Sam said.

"That's totally fine. No worries. If something happens to me in the middle of the night I'll make sure to wander five feet to my right," I joked.

"Okay, cool," Sam said. He pushed a button on the camera and then walked over to his cot. Jake and Colby got into their sleeping bags too, and we all turned off our flashlights.

"Night, Mom," Corey said.

"Night, Mom," Jake repeated.

"Night, Mom," Sam said.

"Goodnight, weirdos," I said.

"Goodnight, Ness," Colby said. He was only a few feet away, but his cot was higher off the ground than my air mattress was, so it felt like he was further. I pulled Jake's backpack up toward me and set my calf on it to elevate the cut.

"Night, dummy," I said.

It couldn't have been more than 20 minutes later when I heard someone sit up.

"Guys," Corey said.

"What," moaned Sam, clearly half asleep.

"I have to go pee," Corey said.

"Oh my god," Jake said. I sighed.

"Me too. I'll go with you," I said.

"Are you sure?" asked Sam. I looked over at Colby, who hadn't moved and was still breathing steadily.

"Yes, but I should go now because Colby won't let me if he wakes up," I whispered.

"Okay. Take your phone. Call if you need help," Sam said.

"Okay," I said. I got up and turned on my flashlight, making sure I didn't shine it at Colby's face. I grabbed my phone off of the charger and slipped on my black Vans.

"Bring a camera," Jake said.

"Okay," Corey whispered. Corey bent down and grabbed the big one out of Sam's suitcase. Corey and I quietly made our way out of the door and down the hall.

"Do you know how to use this thing?" Corey asked.

"If it's already recording and the mic is on and so is the light, I don't need to do much else other than hold it, do I?" I asked.

"Hm. I guess not," Corey said, pushing buttons to turn everything on. "Okay, I'm pushing record now," he said. He turned the camera around to face us while we walked down the stairs. "Okay, update, Nessa had to pee so I'm going with her," Corey said. I slapped him on the back of the head.

"Try again," I said. Corey sighed.

"Okay, I had to pee so Mom said she'd come with me," Corey mumbled.

"There you go," I said. Corey turned the camera back around as we made it to the front door. He handed me the camera and I took it so he could open the heavy door. We hadn't been to the bathroom yet, we'd just heard Bates explain where it was.

The walk was a lot farther than I thought it'd be. The building went really far out to the sides, to accommodate for the long hallways that each had 222 rooms in them. We walked for at least ten minutes, Corey talking to the camera about how creepy it was outside. I just shined my flashlight around, trying to convince myself that there wasn't anything hiding in the shadows around us.

We eventually got there, and I let Corey go in first. He handed me the giant camera and I turned it to myself.

"You know, when I was invited on this trip, I did not expect any of this to happen. I know we filmed part of the drive to Walmart, but I had that cut on my leg from kicking through the wall and then exposed it to potential chemicals in the air. I'm pretty sure I'm fine, and I'm pretty sure Corey didn't touch the hogweed and is fine, too. But this has actually been—,"

I looked around the camera to see a pair of eyes staring back at me. A pair of yellow gold eyes.