Chapter 42

"Colby, give me my water from back there," I ordered. Jake handed me the water bottle Colby handed him from the back. I was wearing a bralette under my shirt again, so I took my shirt off. I wiped off the Neosporin that my body hadn't already absorbed.

"Can you drive with one hand for a second?" I asked Sam.

"Yes, of course, what do you need?" he asked.

"This is going to hurt like a bitch so I'm going to squeeze the fuck out of your hand so I don't scream loud enough to wake up the entire fucking town," I said.

"What are you going to do? Are you okay?" asked Sam.

"Hopefully," I said. I shoved my shirt into my mouth for the time being and grabbed Sam's hand. I rolled down the window and stuck my leg out, then stretched forward and dumped half of the water on it, biting down on the shirt. I dropped it out of my mouth once I had finished with the water.

"Oh, that didn't hurt at all," Sam said about his hand.

"That wasn't the part that was supposed to hurt. This is. Get ready," I said. I dumped the second half of the water onto my shirt and then leaned forward. I clenched my jaw as hard as I could to try to keep quiet. I had to wipe the cut off to get any dirt out of it, and I had to do it with a rough cotton t-shirt in a bumpy, moving car. I took a deep breath, jolted myself forward, and pressed the wet fabric to my leg. I squeezed Sam's hand as hard as I fucking could.

"OW! FUCK! Fuck, fuck, fuck, oh my god, Jesus fucking CHRIST!" I screamed. I let go of Sam's hand when I finished wiping my leg and pulled myself back into the car, then closed the window.

"God danggit, dude. I think you just broke my thumb," Sam said, wiggling his fingers. I honestly could have. Well, maybe not his thumb. His pinky, though? Probably.

"That was you not screaming as loud as you could?" asked Corey.

"Um, definitely. Lot of scream energy channeled into my hand. A lot," said Sam.

"Have fun with that, Colby," Jake said. I threw my shirt backward at him.

"Shut the fuck up! Do you even know why we're going to the fucking store?" I asked.

"For hydrogen peroxide," Jake said, thinking that he knew what he was talking about.

"Yes. But do you know why I need it so bad all of a sudden?" I asked.

"Because your boo-boo hurts?" asked Corey.

"Fuck OFF! I would punch you if I could fucking reach you! This is fucking serious! That poison was in the air while I had a deep open wound. My cut is literally dripping yellow pus. It's already infected. That shit can get into my bloodstream if we don't kill the residue with peroxide right now," I said. Corey and Jake both shut up.

"Open the gate, one of you dick sticks," I said as the car stopped. Jake and Corey both jumped out.

"What happens if it gets into your bloodstream?" asked Colby.

"It depends on how much. Again, I have no idea how strong that stuff was. And my leg could also just be infected from kicking through that old wall. But if it is from that poison and it's strong enough and there's enough, then it's basically the same as injecting me with the damn stuff," I said.

"Shit," Colby said. He moved up one row to sit diagonally behind me. He reached his arm out and held my hand.

The gate started to squeak open and Corey was about to yell at Colby about his seat but didn't get the chance.

"It gets in her blood, she dies. I get to sit close to her. Move your ass to the back," Colby said. Corey didn't respond and ran around to the other side of the car. Sam drove through the gate while his door was still open. Jake ran up to the car after closing the gate and hopped into the open door before the car could stopped and pulled it shut.

"Should we call Bates?" asked Corey.

"Don't know what the fuck he can do, so no," I said.

"Is that stuff going to affect us in that room we're staying in?" asked Sam.

"No. It has to be a direct inhalation. The only way it could hurt us from that distance is if there were vents, and I didn't see any in there. Plus if they managed to hide a whole basement, then the filtration system would have obviously pointed to the fact that there was another floor to the place when it was inspected after it shut down. So, no. Only dangerous, probably, past the door that's still standing at the bottom of the basement stairs. If even. In that room, though. That's not safe," I said.

"Are you okay?" asked Colby. I realized I was squeezing his hand really hard.

"Oh, yeah, I don't know why I was doing that," I said. I let go, then immediately squeezed it again. "Just kidding. Yes I do. Jesus fuck that hurts," I said. My leg was throbbing now. If the stuff got into my bloodstream, I would either throw up or pass out or my hands and feet would fall asleep, so I was good for now.