Chapter 4

"Thanks, Justin," I said, crawling out of the car.

"What the fuck was that?" I asked Colby, once Justin had driven away.

"What? He was creepy," Colby said.

"Yeah, and I told him my name was Amelia. I'm a girl in LA. I've figured out how to handle that type of situation," I said.

"Well, I didn't feel like sitting there and listening to another guy flirt with you for the entire drive here," Colby said. Another guy? Was Colby the first guy? I didn't ask him. "Let's go," he said. He walked toward the entrance, which had an extremely long line outside of it.

"Ugh," I said, staring at it. Colby pulled me in the opposite direction of the end of the line and walked right up to the front.

"Hey, Bruce," Colby said.

"Hey, man. You're all good to go," said Bruce, a bouncer.

"Thanks, bro," Colby said, starting to walk in. Bruce held his hand out before I could follow Colby, blocking my path.

"What, she with you?" Bruce called.

"Sure is," said Colby.

"She 21?" asked Bruce.

"Yes, sir," said Colby.

"Sorry, sweetie. Just wanted to make sure," Bruce said, moving out of my way.

"Thank you," I squeaked, running in after Colby. I looked at him. "I take it that you don't usually come in with girls, you just come out with them?" I asked.

"What!" he exclaimed.

"Am I wrong?" I asked. He thought for a second.

"I guess not," he said. He took my hand in his again and led me past a set of double doors into the club. There were colorful lights flashing, music blasting, a crowded dance floor, a bar, and some booths and tables on one side.

"You ever been to this one?" Colby called, speaking loud enough for me to hear him over the music.

"Nope," I yelled back.

"What do you want to drink?" he asked, leading me over to the bar.

"Gin and tonic," I said.

"Boring but classy," he responded.

"Just like me," I joked.

"Oh, no. You don't seem boring at all, Nessa," Colby said after asking the bartender for our drinks.

"No? Why not?" I asked.

"No one who looks like you can be boring. And you're not boring to talk to. But even if you were, I wouldn't mind, because you're not boring to look at," he said. I was glad the lighting was colorful every few seconds and that it was mostly dark, because I was blushing. Bad. He probably would have been able to tell even though I was wearing makeup.

"Well, I would have to say the same thing about you," I replied.

"Perfect," Colby said, handing me my drink after the bartender set them in front of Colby.

"So you get to cut the line, you don't have to show your ID and the bouncer trusts you about your friend's ages, and you don't have to pay for drinks, huh?" I asked, sipping my gin and tonic.

"And I get to go upstairs," he said.

"Upstairs?" I asked. "Oh, god, that's like, a VIP area, isn't it?" I asked.

"Yes, and some of my friends are up there, so let's go," he said.

"I thought you said 'all' of your friends are going to date night which is why you were stuck hanging out with me?" I said.

"Okay, maybe not all of my friends. And who said anything about being stuck with you? I didn't have to leave my phone, I didn't have to let you in my apartment, I didn't have to invite you out. I wanted to do those things. Just like I want to take you upstairs," he said.

"Well then, lead the way," I said. Colby grabbed my hand again and snaked through all of the people toward the back, where another guy was standing, wearing all black like Bruce.

"Hey, Mick. She's with me," Colby said, giving Mick a fist bump.

"Sure thing, man," Mick said. Colby walked past him, still holding my hand, and brought us upstairs. I hadn't looked up earlier, but the upper floor was like one big mezzanine wrapping around the entire floor, railings blocking off the edges to avoid a fall. One side of the floor was a second bar. It was way less crowded up there, which made sense.

Colby led me over to a booth with three guys sitting at it. I leaned on the edge of the booth, peering over at them. I recognized all of them. Brennen, Mike, and Aryia.