Chapter 38

Colby slowly poked his head around the corner, then brought it back.

"Another staircase with a door at the bottom," Colby said. "Come on."

We kept walking, our footsteps echoing in the small marble hallway. We all slowed down a little bit the closer we got out of hesitation and fear. We finally stopped right in front of the wooden door in front of us. Colby turned around to face the camera and the guys.

"You guys ready?" he asked them. They all nodded. "Are you ready?" he asked, turning to me. I nodded, too. 

I was fucking terrified. I would never be ready to do something like that.

Colby slowly reached out for the doorknob and I squeezed his hand that was still holding mine. He twisted the knob and then pushed the tiniest bit, letting go, and the door creaked open.

"Can I go first with the camera?" Sam asked.

"Yes," I said quickly, letting go of Colby's hand and stepping to the side to let Sam through. Sam walked in between Colby and I, then slowly made his way into the basement.

We all started walking again, and I realized that it was just another hallway like the one upstairs. None of the rooms were specially labeled, none of them appearing any different than the rooms upstairs. Sam made it to the end of the hallway first, then turned back around to us.

"Hey, guys?" he called.

"Hey what?" asked Jake. Sam lifted his finger and pointed to the side of the hallway.

"Oh, Jesus. What now?" asked Corey. Him and Jake jogged up to Sam and looked where he was pointing. Colby walked up after them and I joined them last. Sam had been pointing at another hallway that formed a right angle with the one we were standing in.

"None of the other floors had this," Sam whispered.

"Well, let's go brothers," Jake said, leading the way.

"Oh, shit," said Jake, stopping about ten feet away from where I was.

"Dude. No way," said Corey.

"Is that—," said Sam. I looked up at the words above the door.

"Operating Room One," I read.

"Oh my god," Colby whispered.

"That's where they cut people open and stuff?" asked Jake.

"Yes, Jake," Sam said, like he was talking to a child.

"Dude, I am not going in there," Corey said.

"So you're going to stay out here by yourself?" I asked.

"Fuck. Nessa, will you stay out here with me?" asked Corey.

"No way, man. She's staying with me," said Colby. I felt my face heat up. Corey felt safe with me and Colby wanted to keep me safe. Both of their reactions were so cute.

"Mommm," Corey whined. I held out my hand for him to grab.

"Come on," I said. Corey took a deep breath and grabbed my hand. "You too, dummy," I said, holding my other hand out to Colby.

"I would like to join the hand-holding train, please," Jake said. He walked over and held Corey's other hand.

"Alright, Sam. Come on, buddy," Colby said, holding out his free hand. Sam chuckled but moved the camera so that he could grab Colby's hand in his.

"I'm going to go first," Jake said, reaching for the door with his free hand. I laughed for a second, watching five adults stand there, holding hands in a line. This was more support and love than I'd felt from anyone in a long time. These people were amazing. I really hoped we were still friends for a long time after this.