Chapter 50

"Nessa?" I heard Colby yell from upstairs. "Sam! Where the fuck are they?" he yelled.

"They went to the bathroom," Jake said. I heard their footsteps all thundering above, running toward us.

"We're fine," I yelled. "Nothing's wrong."

"Nothing's wro—are you fucking kidding me right now!" Corey yelled. The guys all came running down the stairs.

"What happened?" asked Sam, making it down first.

"Nothing! We're fine," I said. I didn't want to freak any of them out. The wolf wouldn't come back after Corey and I made so much noise and I'd hurt it with the brick.

"Nessa! You can't just not tell them!" Corey yelled.

"Okay, fine. There was a wolf. That's it. I'm fine. Watch the footage if you want to know what happened," I said. I crossed my arms and pushed my way past all of them, running up the stairs. I appreciated that they were all concerned about me, I really did, but I didn't like begin treated like I was helpless. Because I definitely wasn't. But I guess that video would prove it.

I walked up the stairs while the guys all talked quietly amongst themselves and I heard the camera beeping as they played back the footage. I sat down at the top of the staircase and listened.

"Corey. Stay in there. Don't make any noise. Don't answer me," I heard myself say. I sighed and kept listening to Corey and myself.

"Go! Get! Leave! Leave me alone! Go back to the forest! Now! Go!"

"Holy shit," Jake said, staring down at the small screen.

"I am going to throw this fucking brick at you if you do not leave in three seconds. One... two...three!" I screamed on the recording. I heard the wolf yelp.

"Ooo," all of the boys collectively said when they heard the brick hit the wolf.

"You can come out now," my voice said. Sam stopped the recording and they all turned to look up at me. I shrugged.

"See? I'm fine. Nothing happened," I said. I stood up and walking into the room, the boys standing there staring at me with shocked expressions and wide eyes.

"Dude. What the fuck," Jake said.

"I... I don't even," Sam stuttered.

"Bro! I didn't even know that thing was out there! She wouldn't tell me what happened until we were back in here with the door shut!" said Corey. I walked over to my purse and took out a makeup wipe. I realized I hadn't taken my makeup off earlier. I stopped listening to what the guys were saying, just heard their muffled voices and the occasional 'what the fuck.'

I started braiding my hair into two pigtail French braids when I heard them coming up the stairs. They all came into the room, Sam pointing the camera at me. I shrugged again.

"Now she's just up here braiding her hair? What the hell!" Jake said, holding his hand out toward me.

"I can't believe you did that," said Sam.

"Nessa, why didn't you call one of us? You could have gotten hurt," said Colby. There it was. Him treating me like I was helpless. It suddenly made me mad that none of them would let me go into a room first. I didn't think it was sweet anymore. It was them underestimating me, thinking that I couldn't handle myself if something bad happened.