68

"Okay, now we've got to go upstairs," said Sam.

"Yeah, I know," Corey muttered, standing up.

"Are we using the Ouija board up there?" I asked.

"Yeah, that'll give us more specific answers. There's clearly something here that is willing to communicate with us," said Sam.

"Alright," I said, joining Corey in standing up.

I was completely terrified. Corey's hands hadn't moved those rods. None of us could have put that handprint there, nonetheless matched it to the one on that window. The EMF meter had spiked more than once. My flashlight's batteries died the second after Colby asked the... the little boy to use power from it. A shiver ran down my spine.

"You okay?" Colby asked, standing up with Jake and Sam.

"Yeah, no, I'm all good," I said. I pulled the hood of Colby's jacket over my head and crossed my arms. "I'm cold. Like, really cold. Are you guys feeling that?" I asked. My jaw was starting to involuntarily shake from how cold I was. Colby put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me against him to warm me up.

"I'm not really cold, no. Are you guys?" Colby said.

"No," said Sam.

"Nope, just shaking out of fear," Corey said. He said it like he was kidding, but the zipper on his fanny pack was lightly bouncing back and forth, meaning he clearly was shaking a little bit.

"I'm not cold, and I'm wearing shorts," Jake said.

"So am I," I responded.

"Let's go upstairs so you can put some longer pants on," Colby said.

"You care if we go choose a room to do it in while you guys do that?" asked Sam.

"No, go for it," I said. My voice was shaking now and goosebumps had appeared on my legs. The three of them walked up the staircase on the left and Colby and I went to the one on the right after Jake blew out all of the candles, Sam taking one camera and Colby taking the other.

Colby held my hand as we walked up the stairs.

"Are you sure you're okay? You're legit shivering," Colby said, looking over at me with a worried look.

"I'm just cold," I said again. I was scared, too, but not scared enough to shake like this. But why weren't the rest of them cold? Or even one of them?

We used our flashlights to navigate through the now completely dark building. Colby led the way into the room, but I stopped before walking through the doorway. We weren't alone. I knew it. I could feel someone, or something, watching us. There was something lurking in the shadows, hiding behind a door or corner or something. I was certain.

"Ness? What is it?" Colby asked, watching me shine a light back and forth down both sides of the hallway.

"I don't—," I started. I was interrupted by the sound of giggling. I immediately reeled back and fell into Colby's arms.

"What the fuck was that! Did you hear that?" I asked. Colby picked me up and quickly carried me to the corner furthest away from the door so that no one could see in from the hallway.

"Yes, I heard that," Colby said. He set me down but didn't let go of me, leaving his hand wrapped around my waist. "Did you see anything?"

"No, I jumped back when I heard that. It was completely silent before," I said. The other hallway was so far away that we wouldn't have been able to hear the other guys unless they were being obnoxiously loud, like laughing really hard or yelling.