66

"Yes?" he asked, poking his head through the doorway, laughing.

"You little shit!" I yelled, throwing the box of band aids at him. He laughed for a second then walked over to pick up the box.

"Sorry, I had to," he said.

"You did not. Why did you even come up here?" I asked. He looked at me and sighed.

"I'm sorry about what I did. Sam said you thought it was your fault. It wasn't. Not at all. That was my doing," he said.

"It's okay," I responded, giving him a small smile. I really didn't like that he'd done that, but in full honesty, it was kind of hot. "Sorry I lowkey injured your friend. But he wouldn't put me down and you weren't being very helpful," I said.

"I was preoccupied," Colby said, walking over and resting his hands on my hips.

"No. You were not. Looking at my butt instead of helping me was not the move," I said, wrapping my arms around his neck. I reached up and kissed him on the nose.

"Okay, I also wanted to see how you were going to get yourself out of that one. Jake's picked up Tara like that hundreds of times and she can never get out of it," Colby said.

"Oh. It's just basic physics," I said.

"Basic phy—how much do you think we know about physics?" Colby laughed.

"I don't know! Tara's a lot smaller than me though, so it probably wouldn't work for her," I said.

"You're such a badass. You know that?" Colby asked. I giggled and looked down.

"I'm not. I just accidentally kick holes in walls and throw bricks at things sometimes and knock people over. Nothing special," I said. Colby reached out and grabbed my chin to lift my face up and point it at his.

"You're really smart, but that couldn't be any farther from the truth. You're absolutely incredible. You're not nothing special, you're everything special," Colby said, moving his hands up to hold my face.

"You're such a softie," I said, smiling. He chuckled, looking deep into my eyes.

"Only for you," he said.

"And Solby. And Brolby," I said.

"And Cessa," he said. I physically cringed.

"Cessa?" I asked. "Seriously?"

"What! I don't want it to be Volby or Nolby. I want it to be different from the other ones," Colby said.

"That sounds terrible but I guess I can get used to it," I laughed.

"Perfect. Now let's go back out there, princess," Colby said. He gave me a peck on the lips, then grabbed my hand to lead me back down the stairs.

"It's almost dark. Where are we doing the séance?" I asked.

"That's what we're figuring out right now," Colby said, pulling the front door open for me. We walked down the front steps to the guys.

"So, what's the plan?" I asked.

"For me to put on the band aid I need since you made me bleed," Jake said.

"Oh, shit. I didn't get one because someone decided to scare me," I said, poking Colby in the side.

"Jake, you're fine. Get over it," Colby said.

"You disgust me," Jake said.

"Oh, my god. Does this ever stop?" I asked, turning to Sam.

"Not for a second. Anyway, I was thinking we could do the séance in the office building? I feel like that's where we found the most stuff," said Sam.

"But that's not where the patients were. And the patients who died here are probably what we're trying to communicate with," I pointed out.

"Let's just do it in the main sanitarium space," Corey said.

"Alrighty," Jake said. We all went back inside and Colby and I did our best to sweep an area clean to sit on, but gave up and put my blanket down for us to use. We found a piece of square plywood to put in the middle so we could set everything on a hard surface.

The rest of the guys went upstairs to grab everything, then came back down. Sam placed five white candles in a circle, then put a small glass cup in the middle and filled it with water. Jake got to work with the salt, making a big ring around the blanket.

"I'm glad you figured out that you're supposed to be in the salt circle," I said.

"Oh, shut up," Corey said. We all sat down cross-legged, the order being Colby, Sam, Jake, Corey, and then me, Colby on my left side completing the circle.

"You ready for this?" asked Sam.

"Wait, did you guys bring any sage or anything?" I asked.

"Oh yeah! I did. Let me go grab it," Colby said, hopping up. We all made our way outside and Colby came out a second later with some sage and a hoodie. He handed the sage to Sam, who pulled a lighter out of his pocket and lit the end. He went to Jake first and started smudging him.

"Here," Colby said, holding the hoodie out to me.

"Why?" I asked.

"It's green," he said.

"Oh," I replied, taking it from him.

"You're not wearing green, though," I said. He reached down and pulled up his pant leg, revealing green socks.

"We're all wearing green," Colby said. I glanced around in the dim dusk light, seeing Corey with his partially green fanny pack, Jake with his green and white Adidas, and Sam with his green dad hat.

"Hm. Yes you are," I said. I'd totally forgotten about that. Sam finished smudging all of us and Colby smudged Sam while Jake pulled the cameras out of the big black bag slung over Sam's shoulder.

"A camera for you," Jake said, holding one out to Sam.

"A camera for you," Jake said, handing one to Colby.

"A light for you," Jake said. He handed me the small LED light stick that made those green light dots that would show if there was any sort of movement.

"Dousing rods for you," Jake said, giving them to Corey. "And an EMF reader for me."

"Perfect. Okay, now are you ready?" Sam asked me.

"Yes, sir," I said. We made our way back inside. Sam and Colby fiddled with the cameras for a second until Colby gave up with adjusting the zoom and balanced it on one of the stairs facing us. Sam kept his in his hand to record everything up close. We all sat down in the same order again, reforming our circle.

Sam pressed the record button on his camera after Colby lit all of the candles, burning himself on three out of the five.

"Alright, guys. So we're here in the main area of the sanitarium for our séance. Just like we've said in the past, if any of us feel that we're not safe or something happens, we're going to stop immediately. Our well-being is more important than getting answers right now, so we're going into this both open-minded and cautious.

"You want to take the lead on this one, brother?" Colby asked, looking at Sam.

"Sure," Sam replied. "Okay, we're just going to start out with 'we welcome all communications with any spirits here', okay?" Sam said. We all nodded. I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. But maybe that was because nothing had actually started yet.

We all held hands, Colby resting his left hand on Sam's knee so he could keep holding the camera. We all took a deep breath in and looked around the circle at each other.