95

"In all seriousness though, how the fuck did you get yourself down here?" Jake asked. Colby pulled back from me and we both laughed quietly.

"I was wondering the same thing," Colby said.

"I didn't," I said.

"What?" asked Sam.

"I didn't get myself down here. If I had pulled my arm away and fallen like that, I'd be very dead," I said.

"Then how did you do that?" Jake asked.

"Again, I didn't. Something else did," I said. "Or someone, I should say."

"What? Who? There's someone else here?" asked Sam.

"Did you happen to record any of that?" I asked. "Is there any chance that a camera could have recorded it?"

"I had my hand in the strap on one when I leaned out to pull Colby back. It might have seen something. Why? Who helped you?" asked Corey.

"And how? I'm not even tall enough to reach up there," Jake said.

"Please don't call me crazy, but I think it was Henny," I said.

"What? But he's only eight," Jake said.

"That's your only issue with that?" asked Corey. "I would assume that a ghost can do some things that a human cannot."

"What, so some ghost just broke your fall?" Sam asked.

"No, he put me on his shoulders and brought me down. He just set me on my feet," I said.

"What did he look like?" asked Jake.

"I don't know. Nothing. I looked down to see what was holding my legs and there wasn't anything there. But something about all of it convinced me that I would be okay. So I let go and he set me down gently on the ground. And then this weird thing happened where all of these pictures of memories flashed through my brain of everything we'd had to do with Henny. He said I'd helped him like he'd asked me to with the board and that he wanted to help me, too," I explained.

"So, you expect us to believe that some ghost just picked you up ten feet in the air and set you down and then just dipped?" asked Jake. I shrugged.

"I don't expect you to believe anything. But I don't know what other explanation you could possibly have for that," I said. "Can we go now? I don't feel the need to find the graveyard anymore."

"Yes, of course. Whatever you want," Colby said. "But we should probably go to the emergency room first."

"What? Why? I told you I was fine," I said.

"Yes, but the blood running from your nose all the way down to the inside of your shirt says otherwise," Colby said. I looked down to see a line of dried blood going straight down my from Jake kicking a brick into my face.

"Oh no, no, no, no, it's not broken, is it? I can't go into work with a broken nose, my eyes will be black, and I don't know if it's good to put makeup on it, plus I know it cut me so there's an open wound and I definitely can't put makeup on that and—,"

"Hey, it's okay. It just looks scratched up, not broken. But I'm not a doctor, so let's go find someone who is. I'm sure your work will understand if you miss a couple of days if it's bad enough to give you black eyes," Colby said.

"No, I have to go in right on Wednesday. Remember how there was a thing I didn't want to tell you? I need to handle that when I get back and my face not looking its best is going to be a serious issue," I said.

"They're that insensitive?" Sam asked.

"Well, no... not for a normal employee, but my face is...," I trailed off. "I don't know. Never mind. Let's go see a doctor."

I could see on Colby's face that he had questions, but I knew he would wait to ask them later.

Colby gave me a piggyback ride all the way back to the car and sat me up front while he drove. We found an urgent care a couple miles away from downtown and the hotel.

We all walked into the front room and a man at the front desk looked up at us.

"Hey there, sweetheart. You doing okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm all good. Just want to see if it's broken," I said.

"Can do. Just answer some questions for me and you'll be all good to go," he said. I told him my name and date of birth and all of that stuff and he directed us over to a waiting room. Corey and Jake played rock paper scissors while Sam sat on his phone.

"How does someone play rock paper scissors for twenty minutes straight?" I asked Colby.

"I have no fucking idea," he said.

A/N: Go check out my new book, 'The 7 Deadly Sinners'!