1778 pt. 3

Pov: Tobin finds that Christen's husband has returned from the war, while Christen is torn what to do. Emotions start to come out, and the risk of exposure only escalates as the two are face to face with unparallel situations.

Waking up to the bright morning opened Christen's eyes. She laid in bed, with her husband next to her. She sighed as she thought of her situation with her and Tobin.

As much as she loved seeing her husband again, she was torn between him and Tobin. To only her, she concluded that she did have feelings for the woman, but would never verbally say it out loud.

Her husband had been home for a couple days, and since then, Christen has not seen Tobin.

The bed moved, and she felt her husband stir.

"Good morning," he said, wrapping his arm around her waist, spooning her.

"Morning darling," she said, giving a light smile.

"I was thinking, maybe we go to the pub tonight, catch up with some friends?" He asked.

"Sure, whatever you want," she agreed, "I just have to do some errands today, if that's okay with you?" She asked.

"May I accompany you? I haven't seen the town since I got back, and would love to walk the familiar streets," he said.

"Of course," she only replied.

.

.

.

.

As the couple walked down, Christen made sure to avoid the street where Tobin's shop laid.

As they stopped by a stand selling fish, her husband got to talking to the owner as Christen stood, looking out in the crowd.

"Christen?" She heard a voice behind her and she turned quickly to see Tobin. Her heart dropped and she didn't know what to do.

Tobin's outfit was a coat with an off-white work shirt underneath, rust colored breeches, and white stockings and her tricorn hat with a low ponytail.

"It's nice to see you again," she said with a smile, beginning to walk towards her, but Christen took a step back, making Tobin give a questionable look.

"Honey, what do you think?" James asked, turning around, not seeing Tobin at first.

"Tobin, this is my husband, James," Christen said with lips pressed together. Tobin's face frowned, but quickly turned to a light smile.

"How you do sir?" She greeted.

"I don't believe Christen has told me about you, you are?" He asked.

"Tobin. Tobin Heath," she said.

"Ah, it's nice to meet you, Tobin," he smiled, stretching out his hand for a shake, which Tobin took.

"I don't mean to be a bother for anyone, I must be heading along," Tobin said.

"Oh please-" Christen said, but was stopped as Tobin walked by head down.

"Who is she?" James asked.

"Just a friend," Christen said as she watched Tobin's back blend with the crowd. Tobin's hat for the first time could not be distinguished by the crowd as it once could.

"Well, better finish up then," he said without giving any thought.

On Tobin's half, she couldn't believe what had just happened.

How could I be so stupid, thinking we could ever be thing? She thought to herself as she walked. It took all her might to not break down in tears, but knew was something she had to get over.