1778 pt. 1

Pov: During the Revolutionary War, Christen Press; a wife whose husband went to fight meets Tobin; a mysterious, adventurous independent woman who shows Christen more to life than serving a man.

As Christen filled the bucket at the well, she slowly stood straight, feeling her back ache. The sun made the days seem longer, and Christen always found herself out in the burning heat.

Once she came back inside the semi-cool house, she fixed herself some lunch and ate it alone, enjoying the peace.

She lived in a small town where off to the West was the town's port where traders would come and go.

But with the war going on, trade was slow, and people could hardly find what they needed, as the majority went to the soldiers.

For Christen, she was happy with her life. She was fine being a middle class citizen, but her husband had always wanted more.

Christen would remembers the nights they would always argue and verbally fight each other. The first five years of their marriage were perfect, but came to a halt when she found out he was seeing another woman.

For some reason, they stayed together, through persuasive words, Christen stayed by his side.

After finishing her meal, Christen went out to do her daily errands out in the town.

Her favorite market was by the port, allowing the winds from the ocean to cool off the air.

"Get your fish, the only fresh fish in town!"

"Anchor away!"

"Make a path for the horses!"

"Get yee little hands off my stuff!"

The sounds of people yelling at the market roamed through the place as Christen walked through, picking up basic necessities and other small goods for her. With the war, prices were higher than before.

As she was looking at the fruits, she heard alarming sounds.

"Hey! Get back here you little brat!" Yelled a man. Christen turned to see a man chasing after a young kid.

She tried to move out of the way, but the kid still hit her basket, making her drop almost everything out.

Once the two passed, she began to pick up the things, when she heard footsteps coming closer.

"You okay? I saw all of that and thought that kid owes you an apology," said a stranger's voice.

Christen looked at the feet, and saw a pair of buckle shoes with white stockings. She looked higher up, and was surprised to see a woman wearing man clothes.

"I'm fine, thank you," she smiled.

"Here," the woman leaned down and picked up a dropped fruit and handed it to Christen, "what's your name?"

"Christen. Christen Press," she introduced.

"What a beautiful name that is. I'm Tobin Heath," Tobin said as she tilted her tricorn hat as a gesture.

"Please to meet you. But I must be getting back," said Christen, not wanting to have a long conversation with this woman who dressed different.

"Ah come on Christen, don't you think it was meant to happen, for me, I think it's fate," continued Tobin.

"Fate?" Christen asked while walking.

"You don't believe in fate?" Tobin asked right beside her.

"I never said that."

"Well you must believe in something," Tobin smiled.

"I believe that this war will end soon," Christen stated.