1778 pt. 2

Pov: Christen and Tobin continue to get to know each other, while feelings start to grow stronger than ever.

Over the past few weeks, Christen and Tobin got to know each other more and more. They became close friends, and both never told the other that they felt something more.

Now, they were walking through the woods just the two of them, heading for their usual spot for a picnic.

As Summer turned to Fall, the winds were slowly picking up on the cliff as they sat, looking out to the ocean where ships slowly came in.

"Fall is my favorite season," said Tobin, breathing in the fresh cool air.

"Really? I prefer spring. The time you can smell all the fresh flowers," Christen replied, setting down their basket.

"I brought the bread and some porridge, wish we had more appetizing food, but with the war going on, it's hard to come by decent food," said Tobin with a gloomy sigh.

"That's okay, I think my part will cover the rest," smirked Christen. Tobin gave a confused look, but gasped as Christen revealed a cherry pie.

"How did you manage to come with the supplies?"

"I saved some of the ingredients, and thought why not? And I pulled some strings at the market," Christen answered, proud at her creation.

"Christen Press, you outdid yourself yet again," Tobin compliment, "how did I deserve to meet such a wonderful person as you?"

"Fate" Christen said, bringing back the word from their first encounter. Tobin looked deep in Christen's eyes, but made sure not to look too long.

They ate in silence, eating the porridge and the bread, but enjoying the delicious pie Christen made.

"The British are taking everything. Every turn I see red coats roaming around the streets," Tobin sighed as she set down her food.

"Have faith in the Patriots. George Washington will soon put a stop to it all," Christen tried to reassure Tobin.

"America needs to be independent. The crown will soon pull away, and we can finally be free," continued Tobin.

"I wish for the same," agreed Christen.

"But these moments help, makes me forget the terrible moments," Tobin sighed, leaning back with her arms, but touching Christen's hand in the process.

Christen looked down at the sudden contact, and was too scared to do anything. Tobin must have felt the same, as she slowly looked down, and looked back at Christen.

"My apologies," Tobin said, taking her hand off of Christen's.

"Don't be," Christen said.

There was awkward silence between them, neither knowing what to do now.

"I think it is time to head back," Christen said, "I've got to do my chores, and you best be heading off to your shop."

Tobin nodded, but was sad to leave this moment like this. They cleaned up their things, walked back to town, and said goodbye before parting separate ways.

Tobin didn't understand why that simple moment changed so much. She could have felt a "spark" between them.

As she walked into her store, she was met by Thomas.

"Hey Tobin, just had some customers come in," he said.

"Thanks Thomas, can always count on you," she said, disregarding any thoughts from before.

"You alright Tobin? You seem not yourself," he asked.

"Just had a rough night I guess," Tobin shrugged.

"Come on Tobin, we're family here," he convinced her.

She sighed and confessed, "you are the only one who listens to what I'm going through in life and..."

"Is it that Christen woman?" He asked suddenly.

"How did you know?"

"Tobin, I know people don't condone to sorts like this, but when I see you with Christen, she makes you more you. Your last relationship with that woman wasn't the best to say the least," he said.

Tobin could remember so clearly as to who that was. Tobin used to see this woman named Jane Edwards, who ended up betraying Tobin at the end. With that, Tobin moved god knows how far and settled in the town she is in now.

"You always seem to be right at the end," Tobin sighed with a smile.

.

.

.

.

.

As Christen closed the door to her house, she dropped her things on the table and sorted through the mail she collected along the way back.

As she flipped through, she suddenly stopped when she came across one letter that had the seal from the army.

Taking a deep breath, she opened it, revealing a letter made by her husband.

My loving wife,

How I have longed to see your beautiful face again. When out in war, the only thing that got me through was thinking of you. I know we haven't had the best marriage, but I'm willing to do what it takes to forgive me. I love you, and I hope when you read this letter, I can see your face in person.

Your truly, James Press

Christen slowly turned around, to see the front door open, and her husband standing wearing his uniform.

"James," she gasped. She dropped the letter and ran into his arms.

"Christen," he sighed. The two kissed, and embraced in a tight hug.

"How are you here?" Christen gasped, tears forming in her eyes.

"I asked for a few weeks off, and my request was granted. How much I missed you my darling," he sighed.

Christen suddenly remembered about Tobin, and her heart dropped because of her. She made sure not to expose her emotions and continued acting happy.