10 | we take separate ways

The next day, I stop by the laundry room to buy a 7up from the vending machine before I go to uni. Nox is in there before me and I don't really know how to approach her after what happened yesterday. I stalk past her quietly her back facing me as I adjust my bag back that hangs over my shoulder. She's sitting on a table in the middle of the room and it looks like she's texting someone. A yellow laundry basket is placed next to her feet. She seems too absolved in the conversation that she barely notices me.

Or so I thought.

"There's no need to be awkward Apartment Seven." Nox mutters as I push a quarter in the slot. "A good morning would suffice."

I turn around to face her even though she remains focused on her phone. It almost looks like she's in actual pain just by looking at the screen, her thumbs slowly tapping on her keyboard. "Good morning!" I greet loudly and she flinches. Her phone almost falls from her grip. Nox tilts her neck glares at me with an aggravated expression laced in her features. The 7up falls from the shelf and into a box as it gets transfered to the exit like a mini elevator. When I retrieve the cold beverage, I pop another coin in the slot and press the digits for a Reese's. When the candy falls into the box I take it and set it on the table next to Nox' arm.

"What's this for?" She asks.

"A 'thank you' would suffice." I return and she opens the candy. She takes a bite and then looks at me.

"Thank you." She says and I take a seat next to her on the table. Her eyes follow me dumbfounded. "Look I know you want to talk about yesterday, but I don't and getting me candy isn't gonna make me open up about it so I'm sorry. Your effort was in vain."

"But he's been harassing you for a long time." I say. "And I-I want to help."

"Jimin," she starts "you don't even know me. You don't know anything." Oh but I know everything. "I really appreciate you for not letting him in but you're not obligated to do anything for me. Please, just forget what happened and-"

"And?"

"If Apartment Eight asks you about Elijah don't tell him anything." She says quickly.

"Apartment Eight?"

"Yoongi." She clarifies. "Your neighbor. I know you guys hang out so don't let anything slip out. He can be nosy sometimes. "

Well shit.

"Why are your eyes so wide?" She inquires. "You're looking at me strangely." When I don't speak she just takes another bite from her Reese's and casts her phone aside. The dryer's alarm goes off and Nox gets up after picking up the yellow basket. She shashays towards the machine, opens the door and begins emptying the contents.

"How often does Elijah come here?" I ask and her hand freezes while holding a couple of shirts.

"Don't worry." She says. "He won't be coming by any time soon."

"So that means he's coming later." I state and she tosses the articles of clothing in the basket. She spins around and gives me a warning glare.

"This is none of your concern Jimin." She retorts. "What i'm doing or what Elijah is doing is none of your business. Whatever you're thinking that happened or had happened forget it. I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."

"I know you can take care of yourself, but if anything like this happens again-if Elijah raises his hand at you-"

"What did you just say?" She cuts me.

"What?"

"How do you know?" She asks sharply. "How do you know he has-" Another lady enters the laundry room with a cart filled with dark clothes and that's all it takes to make Nox stop talking. She quickly tosses the last of her laundry inside the basket and holds it in front of her chest with a frown."This conversation isn't over Apartment Seven." She strides past me and before I manage to say something she's long gone.