26 | a little retreat

"Elijah only asked one thing from you. One fucking thing that he could have easily gotten from me. Loyalty. And you fucked up." Madison deadpans, her brown eyes slicing through mine. "He trusted you more than anyone. You deserved everything you got for hurting him. But of course, he would rather waste his life away by taking revenge on you instead of moving on." Madison continues saying. "A total waste of time considering that you're a waste of space in this world."

"You call that revenge?" I ask her, tears forming in my eyes. "You call that abuse I had to take from him for the following two years he went to college, revenge? I get that the pictures are evidence of me fucking up, but why did he have to beat up my brother?" The customers are staring at us and the girl I work with has stopped in the middle of an order as she's looking at both me and Madison. "None of it was his fault, so why did he have to pay for something that I did?" I utter in a shaky tone, clenching my fists.

"That's because it would hurt more." The corners of her lips tilt up into a sinister smile. "You took from him, so it's only fair to take from you."

"Excuse me," Someone suddenly says from behind and I look up only to see a red-haired girl approach the counter. "I think you should stop. You're making her feel uncomfortable in the working space."

Jesus, has everyone heard what we were saying?

"This is none of your business." Madison snaps.

"It is when you're holding the line." The girl tosses. "Especially when I'm waiting for an iced latte for like ten minutes."

"Whatever." She snorts. "This discussion isn't over Nox. I advise you to keep an eye out and watch yourself."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

But instead of answering, she finally takes her leave and my colleague comes to me and asks me if I'm okay, but I just nod it off.

"If you need a break, just tell me and I'll have someone fill in for you."

"It's okay." I return, then glance at the red-haired girl. "An iced latte?"

She nods. "Yes, please. Tall."

I begin filling a plastic cup with ice then pour some freshly brewed espresso in it then fill a mason jar with milk and sweetener. After sealing the jar, I shake it many times until it gets foamy and then I pour the milk and foam into the cup before handing it to her. She's wearing a loose mint green sleeveless shirt, a crème jacket and graphite leggings. A leather messengers' bag is slung over her shoulder. She looks like a college student.

"2.95$." I tell her and she gives me five dollars.

"God, I hate customers like that bitch." She suddenly says, catching her off guard.

"You work at a coffee shop?" I ask and then hand her the change.

"Yeah, Jerry's. And God, it aggravates me when rude bitches walk in like they own the place. The worst thing is I don't even get tipped for tolerating this shit."

"I feel you girl, I got fired from my last job because I talked back at a rude customer. It was the most regretful yet the most rewarding and satisfying experience." I give her a straw and she pops it in the cup and when I try to give her, her change she shakes her head.

"Keep the change."

"Thanks for helping me out." I tell her. "And for the tip."

She smiles, "Us girls we've got to help each other."

Evelyn

Holding my cup of latte in one hand, my free hand dives into my messenger's bag in search for my keys as I jog towards my car across the street. As soon as I reach my vehicle, I sneak a quick peak at the café-patisserie where the girl who was working at the cashier was being attacked by another stuck up bitch who's blinded by her superiority.