9 | elijah

Jimin

As soon as I complete writing the draft for my article, I decide on taking a break because it feels like my eyes are gonna fall off their sockets and onto my keyboard from looking persistently at my laptop' bright screen. I get up from my desk chair and leave my room for the first time in three hours and precisely sixteen minutes. I have already cooked dinner and ate well. There are also leftovers of my chicken steak with mashed potatoes in the fridge so I won't have to cook tomorrow.

I open the fridge and search for a soda only to find some a couple of beers that Yoongi gave me earlier. I take a can and grab my keys. I need some fresh air, so I exit the apartment. A cool breeze hits my skin and I shiver. The coldness was bearable-refreshing even since I've been cooped up in my room for hours. I find myself liking the architectural design of this building a lot because of the openness of this place. The elevator, however isn't fixed yet and that's inconvenient considering I have to squeeze this 'fun' running-down-the-stairs exercise into my already buzy skedule.

Only, this time I'm just pacing down the stairs taking my sweet time while savoring my alcoholic beverage' bittersweet taste. Once I'm on the ground floor, I open the door and walk into the front yard. I stride past the water fountain and plop down onto one of the beach chairs since nobody's here right now. I take a deep breath and exhale. I close my eyes and arch my neck enjoying this simple feeling of being alone. It's liberating and tastes as sweet as the cold beer in my hand.

Unfortunately the peaceful sound of silence comes to an end with the sound of an alarm going off.

"Are you fucking joking!" Someone suddenly yells and my attention flies all the way outside the fence where a man is standing with clenched fists.

I set my beer on the little table on the side, get up from the beach chair and head towards the fence.

"Excuse me," I say and the man looks at me. "How can I help you?"

"Isn't the passcode: NAE1702? In caps?" He inquires.

"I'm afraid not." I tell him.

"Fuck," he hisses and I look at him carefully. "She changed the fucking passcode again."

Is he referring to Nox?

"Hey man help a guy out here." He says. "Can you tell me the passcode?"

I'm getting a bad feeling about this guy. "I think you should just ring the bell and the person you're looking for you will simply let you in."

"Yeah, from what you can see she refuses to let me in." He snorts. "So can you do me a favor?" The tone of his voice is steady—too calm that it comes out as forced. His hands are still balled in tight fists and his eyes are examining me. He's inspecting me just like I'm doing right now. Only, I have the upper hand because he doesn't know the passcode and I have a slight idea about who he is. My hesitant attitude is starting to get to him as his foot begins to tap the floor nervously and his mouth has formed a thin line.

This guy is trouble.

"I don't think I can do that for you." I say trying to maintain my cool.

"Dude all I ask is for you to open the door for me." He fires. "I just want to see my girlfriend."

"I have a feeling that she doesn't want to see you." I retort.

"What the fuck do you know about me and my girlfriend you dick?" He snaps.

"She's not letting you in now isn't she?" I counter. "That says a lot already."

He begins laughing like a maniac and goosebumps rise break on the surface of my skin. It's not because he's intimidating its just something about this guy seems off and I'm uncomfortable in his presence. I wonder how Nox managed to stay with him.