8 | first it's your suitcase now its the freaking basket

The day comes and goes and I spend most of my time in the library working on some assignments and finishing up the last of my research for my latest article about an automotive company. I usually take notes on notebook and then transfer the information on a Word file for the sake of organizing my thoughts. When I type down the last few sentences I save the file and finally shut my laptop. I've been cooped up in the library for several hours now and my back is cramped from the slouching position I was in for so long. I put my laptop in my bag and stretch my back until the sound of those relaxing cracks echoes while I make a mental note to buy a neck pillow sometime soon. Seriously, working on the laptop for a long period of time is so exhausting. Not only does it affect my posture, but my eyes get tired with all the lights and the sudden flashes, my neck gets cramped and so does my back.

I sling my bag on my shoulder and head out. It's almost seven and I don't have any other classes so I decide to go home. I'm kinda hungry but I'm bored to cook—I need to go food shopping. Oh well there goes the independent lifestyle. Usually, Evelyn would deal with the groceries and she would help me cook, but that won't be the case for today or anytime soon.

Luckily for me, I happen to have my wallet with me with a decent amount of money so going home first won't be necessary.

I drive to the closest to my apartment supermarket and park my car nearby. I make a quick jog inside and grab a basket. I start filling it up with the basics: a gallon of milk, some eggs, butter, cereal, rice and bottles of water. I throw in a pancake mix and Canadian maple syrup then toss some ham and cheese. My basket is full but I'm not finished. I grab a bag with a variety of already chopped up lettuce for salad then add some tomatoes, potatoes and olive oil in my overloaded basket.

As soon as I order my chicken steak from the meat section, the woman hands me my package and I carefully pace towards the cashiers with the overloaded basket in one hand. The chicken steak package is squeezed between my torso and my arm while I'm holding on the bags that contain vegetables. I'm so close to collapsing and I can hear a light cracking sound that comes from below. I look down only for the crack to become louder and I notice a fracture on the plastic surface near the handle.

Just fucking great. All I need is to break the stupid supermarket basket now.

The fracture intensifies and I stop walking.

Calm down. Fuck, this is so humiliating.

That's when someone comes from behind and grips the basket from below. She holds the basket up with both hands and it almost seems effortless. I'm speechless.

"How on earth did you fit the entire supermarket in here?" A familiar voice says, her tone laced with annoyance. I look at her as her brows come together and she blows her hair out of the way. Her jade eyes hold this thunderstorm and her lips are pursed in a way that screams 'fuck this shit'.

"Axel could you please take care of our basket?" Nox says as she tries to hold the heavy basket. A boy with sandy blond hair mutters a 'sure' as he obliges.

"Wait let me help you." I say and grip one side. We both carry the weighty basket towards the cashier and Axel follows. I notice that they both share the same bone structure only he's slightly taller than her. Their facial features are different but they somehow look alike. Both of them have traces of freckles near their cheek area and they share the same thick lips and jade eyes. Only Nox frowns and purses her lips a lot while Axel seems more relaxed with his face. That's probably her brother.

"First it was your suitcase with the broken wheel and now it's the freaking supermarket basket." Nox says.

"Sorry, I was in a hurry." I mutter lamely.