chapter 2: Long live the silence *

Start from the beginning

I wanted to dismiss his response. I also wanted to growl at him. Was I just another charity case for him? So that he could rest easy knowing he "Helped" someone? This entire situation had Fen written all over it. What if he takes me back to the bad people..?

"Change--!! Change you damn mutt--or we'll kill you!!"

"Change into the monster you truly are--!! Kill your opponent!!" The crackling static of a tazer spills into earshot. I remember flinching away--always flinching.

"L-Leave me alone--!!" I-I just wanna go home--" In this moment, I didn't care how evil that man was. I just wanted to go back to him. I wanted to run home to him. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't.

"Mommy...wh-why did you leave me with that man?" I would often ask myself as the days in that cellar slowly drifted by.

"Wh-Why did you do this to me--?! I don't wanna be a monster." I curled into a tiny ball in the corner of my box--burrying my snout in my tiny paws.

"Mom please come back...please save me--" tears would stream down my muzzle.

The other lycan. They weren't nice. Some of them came from my pack--but this place; it changed them. And I was stuck as a puppy--it wasn't like I could do anything.

"You're mother lied to you.
She doesn't want a damn thing to do with you."

"Don't you get it? You're not human."

"You'll never be what anyone needs. You'll never be enough."

"Half-breed-!!"

"An abomination!!"

"Disgrace!!"

"Pathetic"

"Useless"

"You are nothing."

I felt my feet skid robotically skid against the smooth surface of the sidewalk. I ran into something. Or....not something; more like, someone. "Watch it kid--" I don't know why I flinched back when he whirled around to face me. Maybe I was still caught up in that horrific flashback. My chest--it was just so tight. It was like the world around me was slowing down.

"Hey, hey I'm not gonna hurt you-" I blink away the tears, trying to shake away the fear. He could tell I was freaking out a little bit, but I could also tell he wasn't very good at this sort of thing.

"S-Sorry..." I exhaled, anxiously playing with the tip of my tail.

"Why are you apologizing?" He questions. I rooted my brows together in confusion, before frantically trying to correct myself. "O-Oh I-I don't know....sorry I'll stop-"

"You did it again." He pointed out bluntly. My face tinted dark blue.
"I-I uhh, s-sorry--!! Or shit I mean, uhh...um...I'm n-not sorry?"

I pick my gaze back up, noticing he wasn't glancing back at me anymore; instead he was concentrated on our surroundings.

"What's your name?" He presses, out of no where. My ears twitched; nervousness evident in my shakey features. I should've been able to come up with a response right away, but I only found myself stuttering even more. "U-Um I-I don't know..." I wasn't sure I wanted to give him my name right away, but I knew I was making the conversation awkward when I felt Kenai nudge me in annoyance through my bag.