sixtyfour

[ october twentyfifth, two thousand nineteen ]

"let's do twenty questions, i'm bored." jeongin muttered, a pout apparent from his cherry lips as his head layed on hyunjin's lap.

hyunjin put his phone aside, diverting his attention towards jeongin as he hummed to let the younger continue. "do you want to start?"

"i can if you'd like, it's your choice, innie." hyunjin said with a smile as he ruffled jeongin's hair. the younger sat up, a smile creeping up his face as he suddenly went into deep thought of what he should ask hyunjin.

"oh! flowers! what's your favorite flowers, hyunnie?" jeongin asked in glee. it was quite a way to hint on how jeongin found his elder friend quite– no, scratch that. super duper pretty. it was something he wanted hyunjin to know yet he hadn't realized how empty his 'hint' was and totally didn't bring his planned compliment to be obvious as he'd like it to be.

"well i find lilacs super pretty~ they're purple and i just like it's representation in love and affection. i mean- you know that i'm a romantic. but dandelions- they're pretty and fun, it reminds me a lot of my child hood and the way that i used to play with it. but after a few times of playing with it, it kind of triggered an allergy so it's quite sad that i can't play with it as much anymore."

"oh? lilacs are super pretty, hyunnie." just like you.

hyunjin looked towards jeongin and smiled, his eyes turning into crescents that jeongin never knew he needed in his life despite seeing it on a daily basis.

"thank you~ well, it's your turn now." hyunjin pointed out as he shuffled on his seat to be a little bit more comfortable, suddenly finding excitement in the game they were playing.

the game continued on, exchanging fun facts about each other that they both were unaware of before. it was fun and all until it was hyunjin's seventeenth question to ask jeongin. he didn't know what, or why he even thought of asking such a question. something in him told him to not do it since it could cause utter chaos that he really didn't want, but impulse was a step ahead and continued on to do something he knew he'd regret.

"do you– maybe... like me?" it was just a question, was what a voice in hyunjin's head tried to back him up, to maybe make him a little more calm about the situation since in his insides– he was going completely frantic. but keyword; tried.

of course he'd panicked at the sudden question he decided to throw to jeongin in a basic game of twenty questions, a game in which the both of them were supposed to have fun and not ask such dreading questions.

jeongin had went stiff at the sudden question that hyunjin just decided to throw at him. he didn't know what to say. he never had a thing for rejection, and he sure as hell didn't have a thing for rejection from the one and only hwang hyunjin.

so he decided to be more impulsive and ignorant than hyunjin, putting up an unnecessary challenge that he wasn't willing to lose, "i'm straight, hyunjin" he stated as if that was obvious at all.

"but you know? i'd make an exception for you anytime. you're who, and exactly who i want." and bam. it was now hyunjin's turn to go stiff on his sitting position. the suddenness of the expected-unexpected answer to his question had hyunjin in a situation he definitely did not think through and knew how to handle.

jeongin's words felt like utter wind from a thunderous night. the way that it hit him in some way making him go stiff on his spot, at some point, also feeling the need to shiver. it wasn't bad– he wanted that answer badly. maybe he didn't desire the exact words that jeongin decided to suddenly throw at him, but the same meaning– or whatever it was, it had hyunjin fazed.

his feet itched to leave, with jeongin's hands suddenly going cold as sweat decided to come along with his anxiety – the situation seemed like a mess.

hyunjin never liked confusion. never fond of the way he was when he dealt with it. the series of overwhelming thoughts tha would pass through his mind made him dizzy in some way. he didn't know how to process such things that he was almost an amateur at.

and just when he was supposed to do something– something that'd have the both of them hooked on some type of addicting ecstasy.

his feet went ahead.

leaving jeongin dumbfounded as he slammed the door shut.

jeongin was thinking. so deep in thought that his expressions seemed to oppose how he was supposed to feel at hyunjin running away after his confession.

his lips seemed to twitch into a smile, covering his face as he felt so empty. like he was supposed to cry but nothing happened.

he was going to turn his pessimism into something better.

so from that day on, he planned to ask hyunjin out– exactly three months later with nothing but the pretty lilacs that hyunjin was fond of.

and no matter how much of utter 'bs' his words stood out to be, he was willing to make the day he promised three months later to be better than today.