Nueve/Nine

Izzy can't stop the nerves that bubble up, or her racing heart, as she and EZ silently sit beside each other. She knows, if he could talk, he'd be apologizing nonstop right now. The men sitting around them, all dressed up, seem to flash their power and dominance with their weapons laying on their laps. EZ knows he can't do anything stupid to danger Izzy or complicate the situation any more. He just has to sit here and see where they're taking him. If things went South, and he made it out alive, his photographic memory could be a plus. He notices Izzy's shaking and slowly moves his hand onto her arm before sliding his fingers into her palm. She clutches his hand in a tight grasp, her mind running. He stares into her eyes, hoping to calm her. She looks out the window, watching their surrounds, trying to remember their route... or recognize where they're taking her. EZ rubs his thumb over the back of her hand, as if to say, 'I'm here. I'm sorry.'

~ MAYANS ~ ~ MAYANS ~

"Got a few hours left in the yard."

"Just finish up. Business as usual."

"I'll take the prospect with me."

"Yeah."

"If he ever fucking gets here."

~ MAYANS ~ ~ MAYANS ~

When the car finally comes to a stop, Izzy knows they've been sitting in silence for atleast 30 minutes. They've taken them to the desert. There's nothing around and it's unpleasantly eerie. EZ and her are still holding hands when another car pulls up with it's headlights on. They instruct EZ to get out of the vehicle, but he's reluctant to leave Izzy alone.

"She'll be fine." One man says.

EZ looks back at Izzy as the door is opened, he leans close, looks into her eyes, and whispers, "I'll be right back, okay?"

Izzy watches them lead him towards the car parked right in front of them with it's blinding headlights still on. The sound of crickets is all that's heard as EZ watches someone step out of the other car. It's Galindo. EZ's slightly shocked, not expecting him to drag Izzy into this... a mere innocent stranger to him (and not to mention a woman).

"Good to see you." Miguel starts, "I apologize for the suddenness of my request."

"It must be important." EZ says.

"It is, for both of us. And the person we have in common." Miguel continues at the confusion on EZ's face, clarifying, "The hospital. I'm assuming you still have some nostalgic feelings for Emily?"

"We have history. I know you're aware. I was worried about her. Meant no disrespect." EZ wants to clear the air and get Izzy away from his men as quickly as possible, "There a reason we're chatting in no-man's-land?"

"It's pretty desolate, isn't it? But once the zoning gets ironed out, I'm gonna buy this lot and all adjacent property. Over 250 acres. I have commitments from three big agro companies, both here and in Sonora to base operations out of Santo Padre. And with that comes housing, retail, schools. Gives this economy a heartbeat again. Puts us on the map."

"Michael Corleone. Capitalism. Wash the blood off the family money."

"Right. Who are you in that movie?"

"I'm not sure. As long as it's not Fredo."

"Can't be a large percentage of outlaw bikers who speak Latin."

"Or cartel leaders saving a migrant town from extinction."

"Know, life takes you in so many unexpected directions?"