Veintiuno/Twenty One

[a/n: this chapter's a little different, but it's longer and a lot happens... 😬]

"Can't believe they discharged you already."

"Two band-aids and an eye patch. Not even a fucking lollipop."

"What'd the doc say?"

"Got about 60% in the left eye, less than 20% on the right. Think it should eventually come back. Gotta see a specialist, find out what's up."

~ MAYANS ~ ~ MAYANS ~

"We talked to Charming. SOA is pissed. Chibs reached out to Palo. I guess the VM see it as getting a pound of flesh for what happened with the migrants."

"What happened with the vatos in our backyard, that was outlaw shit. They took the risk, they paid the price. What happened last night, that was fucked. They broke every rule."

~ MAYANS ~ ~ MAYANS ~

"The documents in the lockbox. Ignacio Cortina. I grew up in a small town with the Galindos. It was a dirt poor village about 40 miles North of Hermosillo. When I was a kid, my grandmother took in a bastard Galindo's old man fathered. Ostracized by the church. Jose never forgot. 20 years later, I was a federale in Sonora. Anti-Drug squad. One of my first big undercover stings went bad. Two innocents were killed. My career was over. Jose Galindo made it all go away. Saved my job."

"You were in his debt."

"And that's where the shit got complicated. Now it's your turn. I know you've been digging into mom's death."

"Emily told you."

"She came to me with some information she found, terrified of what it meant."

"Money transfers. We know who pulled the trigger. A nomad, a member of the North Cali Sons crew. Still don't know who hired him. He's Izzy's uncle."

"Shit."

"What did Emily find?"

"Bring everything you have- everything you know-"

"Why can't you tell us right now?"

"I made a promise that all parties would be there. We all have a different piece of the puzzle."

"How you gonna get Emily to the house without Galindo knowing?"

"I'll let you know what time. Do we need to have Izzy there?"

"No. We don't."

"Maybe she knows something-"

"She doesn't."