On Edge Pt.2

Two Weeks Later... Juliana's P.O.V.

Leo had officially been gone for two weeks, and everything felt weird.

"It's really weird not having you here, Leo," Bree admitted. "Everybody really misses you."

"It's been two weeks," I said. "When are you coming back?"

"I'm sorry guys when I said I was done I meant it," Leo said. "I've hung up my mission suit forever."

"Then can I have it?" Adam asked. "I found a guy in Japan who's willing to pay top dollar.

"I appreciate the call, but things are actually great back here," Leo said. "School's much better without Perry, and I get to spend a ton of time with my mom."

"Every eighteen-year-old boy's dream," Bree said sarcastically.

"You're sure we can't change your mind?" Chase asked.

"Sorry guys, I'm staying here," Leo said. "I've gotta go. Mom's hosting her book club tonight and I'm in charge of dessert. Turns out my laser spheres carmelize the perfect creme brulee."

"Ooo, that sounds good," Adam said. "Do I have to read a book to get in on that?"

Leo made a face like he knew the right answer would leave Adam disappointed. "Later, guys."

He disconnected the call and we sighed.

"I feel bad," Bree said. "We should've given him more credit."

"I know," Chase said. "And he deserves to be up there at the award ceremony tomorrow."

"Oh, so now you think that?" I muttered.

Chase and I had been in a few disagreements before Leo left, and we had been distant since. I knew Chase blamed himself for what happened, and I was still somewhat upset at him for it. He didn't need to be so harsh on Leo, he should've been offering encouragement.

Chase went to say something but stopped himself and looked away. I immediately felt bad. I shouldn't be putting him down when he was already feeling terrible.

"Chase, wait-" I went to say, but he shook his head and walked out.

"Why're you guys fighting again?" Adam asked.

"I'm not sure anymore," I sighed as I sat down.

"Hey, it's okay," Bree said as she sat next to me. "Couples fight. And besides, with the awards ceremony coming up, maybe you two will get to have some fun and make-up."

I offered Bree a smile. "Thanks, I hope you're right. But I still feel bad for putting him down."

"He kinda deserves it," Adam said.

Bree and I both shrugged. "Kinda. But I'm his wife, I have to be there for him when he's feeling down, and I haven't been."

"Well, I know we have to go talk to Mr. Davenport about the trip," Bree said. "So after that, we can come up with ways to get you two talking again."

I smiled and nodded, and we left to find Dad and Chase.

"So, at 9 a.m. tomorrow we'll take the hydroloop to the mainland and we'll travel to the president's award ceremony in my self-driving limo," Dad explained.

"I call shotgun!" Adam shouted.

"Adam, it's a limo, everybody rides in the back," Chase explained.

"You sit where you want, I will still be holding the shotgun."

I chuckled and turned back to Dad.

"Once the President is dazzled I will undoubtedly be showered with a big fat contract and piles of cash, which, I might just share with you four," Dad said.