Back From the Future

[Edited 2/26/25]

In the Lab... Juliana's P.O.V.

"Okay," Dad said to Adam, Bree and Chase. "Your mission supplies are packed, the schematics have been uploaded into Chase's chip, and your transport is on the way. Did I forget anything?"

"No," Bree said. "We'll just guess what the mission is and see how it all plays out." 

I snorted and Dad rolled his eyes. 

"All right," Dad said. "A particle collider is a three-mile-long underground facility where scientists-"

"Race subatomic particles at each other at light speed for energy experiments!" Chase interrupted, unable to contain his excitement. "So cool!"

"I know! There is a particle collider in Berkeley that is accelerating out of control, and your mission is to shut it down."

"Woho! Awesome!" Adam exclaimed. "I hope one of us knows how to do that."

"Okay," Dad said. "We have to act quickly. The scientists that operate the facility have already evacuated the control center, and if we don't shut it down in time, it will create a massive black hole that will implode the entire planet."

"Today?!" Leo asked. "No, that's not gonna work. Today is Shelly Evans' birthday, and her mom makes the best cupcakes! I'm just sayin'."

"That woman doesn't skimp on the sprinkles," I added.

"Don't worry, Leo," Dad said. "You will get your cupcakes. Adam, Bree, and Chase have all the training they need to shut the collider down."

"I don't know, Big D," Leo said. "I think these guys are gonna need some... backup!" He pumped his fist in the air and Dad chuckled.

"Yeah, and that's why you're gonna be 'backup!' here in the lab with me and Juliana."

"Oh," Adam chuckled. "He said 'backup' and you said 'backup'. Saying things twice makes it funny! Oh! Saying things twice makes it fun-"

"Stop it!" Dad exclaimed and I laughed. 

Suddenly, a big glowing ball flew into the room, and a man inside it yelled. We all backed away from it, and I looked up at Chase for an explanation only to find him shocked and confused. It stopped glowing, and we saw a man strapped down to a machine. We all yelled, and Chase pulled me close to him.

"Nobody panic!" Dad exclaimed. "Probably just the cable guy." 

The man stood up and took off his glasses.

"Come on, Big D," the man said with a big smile. "I just came from seven years in the future. Your time machine actually worked! It's me! Leo!" 

I looked closer, and I did see a resemblance. He was tall, taller than Adam even, still lanky and skinny though. 

"Wait," Leo said, stepping forward. "If you're really me, then you'd know the handshake I came up with in case I ever became a spy."

"Requesting authentication, Double-O Leo," older Leo said. 

They did their handshake perfectly, and Leo grinned. 

"It really is me!" 

I smiled and Chase's grip on me loosened. "Wait," I said. "You're the future version of him?" I asked future Leo. 

He nodded, staring at me kind of weirdly as if he hadn't seen me in seven years. It made me frown. 

"Do you know what this means?!" Dad asked. "I cracked time travel! Ha ha ha! I cracked time travel, I cracked time- Can you do me a favor? When I see you in seven years can you remind me to tell me how awesome I am? Lemme high-five. Like that."