Concert in a Can

Edited 4/28/24

Juliana's P.O.V.

I walked over to Adam and Chase, who were hanging out with the new kid in school. I noticed him because he carried around a very nice electric guitar. He had neat brown hair and looked scrawny, and from what I had seen in class he was shy. 

"Oh, sweet!" Adam said to the new kid as he played the guitar. "Look at your fingers go! It's like each one has a little brain of its own."

"Thanks," the new kid said with a smile. "You know, you guys are the only people who have talked to me at this school. I hate being the new kid."

"Yeah," Chase agreed. "We used to be the new kids that no one talked to. Now we're just the vaguely familiar kids that no one talks to."

"Hey, peeps," Leo said as he and I walked over to them. "What's the deal-io?"

"Hi," the new kid said, extending his hand to me. "I'm Marcus." 

I smiled and shook his hand. He seemed really sweet, I had a feeling I was going to like him. 

"Nice to meet you, Marcus," I said. "I'm Juliana." 

Marcus smiled and nodded, his eyes very focused on me. It was as if he was trying to recite my name to memory. He then glanced over at Leo. "I'm Marcus," he introduced himself to him. 

"I know," Leo said. "We have gym together. And study hall. And also chemistry. We're lab partners."

"Oh. I... did not know that." 

I laughed and shook my head. "It's alright," I said. "It's your first day, you're still learning."

"Chase, you ever play guitar?" Marcus asked.

"No," Chase said. "But I've always wanted to."

"Well, I'm a jammer as well," Leo stated. "My rocking is only eclipsed by my rolling."

"Leo," I said. "You played the clarinet for three weeks until you swallowed the reed."

"I passed it."

"Here, Chase," Marcus said, handing Chase his guitar. "You want to give it a go?" 

Chase looked at me and I smiled, nodding with encouragement. 

"W-" Chase stuttered. "Yeah- yeah. Sure. Why not?" 

He took the guitar and looked at it for a long moment as if he were analyzing it. He then started playing it like he was a professional! He rocked out with the guitar for a solid minute before he finished and looked at us, his eyes wide as he realized what he had done. 

"Uh... What do you know?" Chase asked. "Beginner's luck."

At lunch... Chase's P.O.V.

"So me and my dad moved around a lot," Marcus explained. "I was homeschooled for most of my life."

"No way!" Adam exclaimed. "So were we! We are so similar! Do you have a third nipple too?"

"Anyway..." Juliana said, not wanting to stay on the subject of Adam's nipples.

"That's a pretty sweet guitar, Marcus," I complimented.

"Yeah, and you're a natural, bro!!" Marcus said. "Guys! We should start a band!"

"Oh, that's a great idea!" Adam said and he started tapping the table. "But what would I play? Oh, I got it! No, I don't got it."