CHAPTER 3

MY TIME

"I thought I loved you Sky, hindi pala."

I thought I loved you... I thought I loved you. Why? Those words keep on repeating in my ears, in my mind!

"Let's stop this relationship... Sky."

"Why Samantha? May nangyari ba?"

She looks so serious. Still, a bigger part of me was expecting she was going to say it was just a joke.

"Why are you saying that? You're just kidding right?"

"I... I am not," speaking slowly. Her lips did move, her eyes watering but firm.

It did take a few moments before it sank into my mind.

"I am not... Let's have a proper break-up."

Why is it so easy for her to say those words? After all those years? I should not let this happen, I must stop this nonsense. "Stop it, Sam. Stop saying anything."

"No Sky, kailangan mong malaman, kailangan mo marinig--"

"This is our third anniversary. I have a surprise for you." I easily disregard it and show a smile. "Happy anniversary, Sam." I pulled out a small box from my pocket. As I opened it, the white diamond ring glimmers. I held her right hand and slowly inserted it into her finger. I did not take my eyes off the ring. "I love you, Sam, very much." Then I looked into her eyes expecting the same expression whenever I said my love for her.

But it was not there.

She pulled her hand and removed the ring. "Sky, I am sorry. Itigil na natin ito, please? I cannot fool myself anymore."

Is this happening?

"I am sorry, gusto ko ng maging totoo lalo na sa iyo."

I prepared a lot of surprises for this moment and not just the ring. I'm also going to make a marriage proposal. I am sure to myself that she's the right one for me. Days ago, I prepared this place, our favorite place with her favorite flowers, foods, and smells. I know she will like all these surprises. I know she will accept the ring, she likes diamonds so much. I know she...

"Sky."

But, and now. I don't like how she looks, as pity reflects all over her face.

"What are you saying?" I almost cannot hear my voice.

"Take care of yourself from now on, don't be hurt."

Hard realization takes place. "May mahal ka na bang iba?" A broken voice. I deeply plead that it will not come.

"Meron."

Her eyes change. It became happy and inspired.

The eyes I am longing to see a while ago.

The voice I heard did not lie to me, but, "Let's talk about this another time, maybe you are not in a good mood today," I said. Why it is so easy to disregard and numb the feelings?

She return it again, "Mas maganda pag-usapan na natin ngayon. Si Alex, he loves me too. He has a respect for you kaya hindi siya gumagawa ng kahit ano and I feel the same way."

The cause is Alex, a half-Filipino American. My senior in architecture, famous, top student, and teacher's choice.

"Bakit mo sa akin sinasabi 'yan, Sam? Naiisip mo ba kung ano nararamdaman ko?" I cannot take this anymore! "Since when? How? How do you love him? I'm always there for you! Why the sudden change?"