57. Epilogue

I broke not only my heart or Conrad's, but also Evangeline's. For weeks after we left, she cried for her daddy and it broke me.

But each day I got stronger. I stayed with Harry and Susie for a week, before I purchased a house on the coast line, a few hours north from my brother and his family.

I left New York nearly seven months ago, saying good bye to all that I knew there. I had no intentions of going back. The hardest goodbye for me was saying that to Amy. The one that broke me was Conrad and his daughter.

We fought two weeks prior about who Ang was spending Christmas with and I eventually won the upper hand. I knew Conrad wasn't coming down this year, his sister said so and Conrad confirmed it, saying he had a very important meeting on Christmas eve.

Evangeline still didn't understand the whole situation. She was only two.

Through those seven months, my anger had dissipated and now all I felt was sorrow. I am back to where I started three years ago. We weren't divorced yet and for weeks, I stared at those papers, tears filling my eyes, wondering if I'm making a big mistake. But I eventually sent them, my stomach was knotted over the matter.

I watched Ang sleep in her bed, the story I read to her in my hands and smiled at the peaceful child. Leaving on the night light, I closed her door, going back to the sitting room where I had her presents stashed that were from Santa and pulled them out off the cupboard.

They were already wrapped and all I had to do was leave them by the tree with her other gifts.

It was only hitting 8pm at night and outside had only just gotten dark. My little Christmas tree was up, lit with fairy lights, making it the only light in the room.

I was disturbed from my peace when I heard the gentle tap at the door and I seriously thought it was Harry and Susie, arriving two days earlier than planned.

Susie did try to convince me not to spend Christmas alone but I turned her down. Now she has probably got stubborn about it, forcing Harry and their daughter for the long drive so I wouldn't be alone.

I was ready to reprimand her for it too when I opened the front door but it wasn't my sister in law, it was her brother at the door.

"Conrad. What are you doing here?" I asked him. He looked tired and hot, still dressed in his business clothes while we were suffering through our usual Christmas heat wave.

He held up documents and I felt guilt eat at me, pressing my lips together. The divorce papers.

Sighing, I invited him inside where it was cooler with the air conditioner going and I heard him sigh in relief as he took his jacket off.

"I told you to ring before coming." I said softly, closing the door and keeping the heat out.

"I didn't like my Christmas gift from you, so I'm returning it." He said in a calm manner. "Where is Ang, I want to see her."

I frowned. What did he mean? Then I knew what he meant. The divorce papers. "She is asleep, Conrad, please don't disturb her." I begged at him softly.

Conrad frowned in return. "I'm not going to wake her. I miss her. The only time I see her is through video call."

"Down the hall and your second left." I sighed out. I let Conrad go and sat on the couch, thinking things through. That's when I noticed the documents he came with on the table.

He dropped them there while making that remark about not liking his Christmas present.

Going to them, I picked up the envelope and took the papers out, seeing photos slip out.

With wide eyes, I saw them. They were photos of me and that man from the other month, time stamped about eight months ago. I flicked through the photos, there were five of them. Each one had me in them.

Fresh tears came up to my eyes as the emotions took over.

"I trust you, Maya. With my whole being." Conrad spoke softly behind me. "I always have. These photos, they did rock the boat, but I trust you. I don't want another divorce. I divorced Tiffany for each of our happiness, so I could have you." I felt his hand on my shoulder as Conrad walked around to face me. "I'm not divorcing you. I love you so much, there is no way I want to let you go. You are the mother of my child and the love of my life."

More tears were streaming down my face. I couldn't breathe properly.

"You know I have anger issues, I'm possessive and I have become a very jealous man when it comes to you, but I'll never stop loving you."

"Conrad," I started, taking a deep breathe and looking up at him, "I love you, but you hurt me with your accusations."

"I know, Maya and I want to make things right. I want to be with you. I promise, I'll never doubt you again."

To me, it felt like we made no progress in the last seven moths. I tried to form the words but they couldn't come out.

Instead, Conrad held me to him and kissed me, making me melt into his arms.

"Forgive me." He said softly, it was barely audible, but I heard it.

With a shaky breathe, I nodded my head, leaning our foreheads together. I felt his hands on my hips and I knew this is where I want to be. In his arms.

His wet lips were on my forehead as fresh tears rolled down my cheeks. "How will I know if..."

"Shh." He warned me kindly. "It won't happen again. You are my wife. You are the mother of my child. You are my true love."

I let out a small chuckle. "You are getting better with your words."

"So I can charm you to love me even more." Conrad stated, picking me up. I wrapped my legs around his hips and my arms over his shoulders, smiling at him.

"Then let's go to bed and you can charm me with that mouth some more."