43.

I avoided Tiff after that night I was at her place. I avoided her because of Conrad. I didn't go over when asked, and I only met up with her in public.

So when Tiffany finally got the hint, she invited me to a cafe near her business.

Blankly, I stirred my tea in the cup, looking and feeling gloomy.

"What did he say to you?" Tiffany asked me. It made me frown as I looked at her.

"Who is he?"

"Conrad." She sighed out, her hands around a tall latte glass. "He has been in a horrible mood, all sulky like, just like you."

I pressed my lips together before sighing, giving in to her.

"We both said some nasty stuff, we snapped at each other a bit, fought as well." I didn't want to go in to the details completely.

"Well, Con said he yelled at you, he knew he had you upset. He wouldn't tell me what was said either." I could feel the look that Tiffany was giving me and it made me shrink even more. "Conrad tells me everything but not this. All I know is he is very sad. He isn't his cheery self. Regretful is another word that comes to mind. I know I play a part in it too. It's not just about your fight with him. It is also this whole baby situation."

I didn't want to listen to Tiffany but I had to. She was so calm and collective about it all. I watched her hand come across the table and settled on top of my hand, making me look up at her.

"I don't think of you as his mistress, Maya. I know you have been sleeping with him still and I'm still fine with that. Con absolutely adores you. Yes he has a temper. But he is missing you. It's been two weeks, May. Go see him."

I recoiled my hand away, shaking my head. "No. I told him I don't want to be his mistress, I told him we need to stop."

"But neither one of you can, can you?"

Taking a shaky breathe, I shook my head again. "This is the only way I know how to stop it. If we don't see each other, the sex will stop, I'll stop feeling guilty and betraying you." I saw Tiffany went to cut in but I raised my hand, preventing her to interrupt. "This is for the best. That way neither of us will get hurt. Neither of us will say hurtful things." That familiar feeling in my throat, warning me I'm about to cry was happening and I stood up. "I'm sorry if this didn't happen the way you wanted it, I know you love Conrad and you only want what's best for him, but I can't keep doing this, I can't live like this."

Turning on my heel, I saw Tiffany's face that was in surprise and left the cafe. I kept my head high, not letting any thoughts dwell too long because I knew I would cry.

I waited for all that at home. When I got there, I closed my front door and dropped my handbag, sinking to the floor. Hugging my knees, I dropped my head and cried.

I cried because I knew I was hurt. Because I knew that whatever Conrad and I were, it wasn't a one night stand. It was many nights and my feelings got involved as did his. I cried because I actually cared and I believed this was the best choice for me right now.

Also because I know I lost a good friendship with Tiffany.

I can't be Tiffany's friend. Not while Conrad is her husband because it's so messy and complicated and whatever she was trying to do wouldn't work.

I know Tiffany said she was fine with it, but it still didn't sit right with me.

I kept my head on my knees, the tears flowing freely as I silently cried for what I lost today.

*********
8 Months Later

"Excellent, Maya." Peter called out as I smiled widely. "That's a wrap."

I sighed in relief and turned to the shelter on the beach.

"That's fantastic!" I heard Amy while she was on the phone. I smiled her way as we made eye contact and I sat on the chair waiting for me.

I was tired and feeling the sun on me all day made me feel burnt. I've been slathered in suncream all day to prevent it but this is Australia. Queensland to be more specific. It was only the start of spring and we were in a heat wave.

I've flown home four months ago, working and this time I had Amy with me.

I pumped some more white lotion in to my hands and stared out to the blue ocean in front of me as I applied the suncream. We had been working on photoshoots for another company all day and even though the days were hot, the evenings were cool and the temperature was dropping.

I saw my manager, Thea, some one I hired six months ago on the phone, looking serious. By the tone she was using, it sounded like she was talking to a potential boss, negotiating the terms of a possible contract.

"Hey, girl." Amy grinned as she stepped in front of me. "Wanna go dancing tonight?"

I thought about it but before I could answer, Thea butted in, much to my annoyance. "No, Maya can't. She has tonight booked with her family."

With those words, my face and Amy's dropped. "Sorry." I grimaced at her. "But she is right, I'm having dinner with Harry and Susie."

Amy pouted at me, begging with her eyes which made me laugh. "Tomorrow night?" I called out to Thea and she gave me a thumbs up as she continued with her phone call. "So what is the fantastic news, Amy?" I asked her, giving Amy my undivided attention.

"Well, the boys are here." She said to me and I smiled widely. "But since you're busy tonight..."

With wide eyes, I quickly spoke. "Oh no. I am busy but I'll be at my hotel room no later than eleven tonight. Let Lyle know that I will be back tonight in my hotel room!" I stressed out to her.

"Okay, I will!" She laughed in return, phone in her hands and texting.