49

I blinked a couple times, mixed emotions running through me.

"You can't?" It was barely audible but she heard it because Tiffany shook her head. "Why not?" I paused at my tone. I sounded pissed off and I couldn't work out if I was annoyed at what Lorraine did to her niece or that Conrad couldn't get a divorce for my benefits.

"In her will, she named Conrad as Executive. He inherited Cherie. Not me. If we divorce, I get nothing."

The room was silent except for the occasional sniffle from Tiffany as she poured herself a scotch and offered me some.

"No thanks." I said, still shocked. "Does Conrad know?"

"He knows of her passing. He is on his way. He doesn't know of the will. He inherits everything and then his children. I'm not ready to give all this up yet."

I watched Tiffany as she pushed the hair out off her face and wiped her eyes.

"Talk to him. Tell him. I don't think Conrad will keep the companies away from you. You are his best friend." I couldn't believe I said those words. Since our last encounter, my opinion of him changed.

"I heard he was really nasty to you last time he saw you."

I looked up at Tiffany, shocked that she knew, but I shouldn't have been surprised.

"This isn't about me." I stated, taking her hand. "This is about you."

Tiffany smiled at me, her eyes watery. "I've told you everything. Now things are about you."

I moved over to another chair, sitting, still looking at Tiffany. "How can you do this?" I asked her in wonderment. "You lost your great aunt today. You lost your companies. You have to keep your husband. Yet you want to know how I'm doing?" I gave her a faithful smile and I felt another stab of guilt go through me. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not being a good friend this past year. I thought if I didn't hang with you as much, I could also avoid Conrad. I didn't like what we were doing. It didn't sit with me, despite your arrangement. I couldn't let it continue because I respect you too much." I told Tiffany. "I didn't want it to get out of hand and Conrad and I get caught, then he would be plastered as a cheating husband, me a mistress and homewrecker and you as the pitiful poor wife. Then what of Lorraine? What if she found out?"

Tiffany was silent but I knew she was thinking about what I had said. "I understand."

"You do?"

"Why didn't you just say so?"

I sighed. "Because things did start to get out of control."

"What did he do the other week?" Tiffany  asked me but I didn't answer her. "I know he has a temper. It's atrocious to be honest. Have a drink, Maya." I shook my head and let Tiffany continue. "He came home about three weeks ago, very angry and it took a couple days of me convincing him to tell me. He said he took things too far."

I pressed my lips together and slowly nodded my head.

"Did he..." I could tell Tiffany was uncomfortable. "Rape you?" She whispered to me so low, I nearly missed it.

"No!" I gasped, horrified. "No he didn't. It was completely consensual. But, he was too... I don't know, possessive is a word that comes to mind."

Tiffany gave me a small smile, a smile of understanding. "He is a possessive man, May. Con doesn't like to lose. He never has really, till you came along and it's driving him mad. I've been warning him to stay away from you, to let you have space and he did, he just didn't want to. He really -" Our conversation was cut short as Tiffany's phone rang and she answered it, three words later, the phone call ended.

She placed the phone down on her table and poured a drink, giving me the glass. "No thanks." I said to her.

"You'll need it." Tiffany said as she went to the office doors.

"Whatever for?" I smiled, confused as she  looked back at me.

"I'm sorry." Tiffany grimaced, opening the door.

In strut Conrad, hugging her. "Are you okay?" He asked Tiffany as she nodded.

I froze at the sight. I don't think Conrad saw me, being concerned about Tiffany and I didn't mind because I slowly got up and walked till I was behind Conrad, signalling to Tiffany that I was going.

I know she saw me and she looked back at Conrad as he spoke, stepping away towards her desk.

Conrad stayed still and I was nearly at the door.

"I'll be back." Tiffany muttered,walking to behind her desk and that's when my arm was snatched and I turned, looking at the hand holding me back.

"Where are you going?" Conrad asked me suddenly and I was startled. I saw his eyes wonder down me and I recognised the look in his eyes.

Lust.

"I'm leaving." Were the words that I managed to say.

"We need to talk." Conrad let my arm go and I stepped back, frowning.

"Not right now." I told him, taking another step back.

"Maya, don't go."

His words had cut me, making me want to stay but I couldn't. If I did, I would tell him the thoughts in my head and I didn't want to face them right now.

I felt so confused by why Conrad kept looking me up and down until I looked at myself. Right, I left a party to come here.

My dress was sheer, nearly see through with a large slit right down my chest.

"You look gorgeous, Maya." Conrad said to me, coming closer. "We really need to talk. Not right now, but soon."

I nodded in agreement. "Soon." Then I left, leaving Conrad behind, walking out of Tiffany's office.